Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

I miss this thread.....are bantam cornish considered rare? I know they have a small showing class, but I am not sure if they are considered "rare"

I think the Lamona is very rare. Some say extnct, but I have heard their are breeders who are working on this breed, but very quietly. I believe they were origanally developed from a dorking, leghorn, and rock. They are white in color. Someone in Wisconsin has bantam lamonas. Cant remember the name off hand. Feathersite has pictures of them.

The rarest breed is the one that lays the golden eggs! lol
th.gif

Sorry had to go there.

Last edited:
We have a thread going of several of us working on this project. I have Splash and Calico Silkied Ameraucanas.

14596_img_20110128_123034.jpg

14596_img_20110128_123004.jpg

14596_img_20110109_144338.jpg

I also keep Silkied bantam Cochins and I have South American breeds that I'm working on for conservation.

Partridge Chanteclers are another I'm keeping that haven't many around.

Quote:
I wouldn't call Silkied Ameraucanas a breed, but yes, those are freaky rare.

Only ever saw ONE person post a photo of their own birds from the U.S.

'Tis why I mentioned Oriental Gamefowl, and I think those sort of can fit in there too.

There are reasons why the silkie amerucauna are rare. In all honest if someone tried to give me I would have said no thinking it was disesed. That is until yesterday when i found.out kinda.creep

Thanks for the compliment....flowerchild. I've been doing some new poultry artwork this Winter....some fun ones...interesting breeds that I've never done before.... I have time to do more if you're interested....;)Here is a pair of Pyncheon Bantams I did earlier this month....regards, Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)
smile.png
69973_artwork_2011_005.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom