Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
Hi Chickielady

As I have already told you. I called all of the names you listed and only got one of them to answer and she did not want to sale any because she was not happy with the way her Redcaps looked. I am very sorry for all the time in the research you went threw and I am sorry that it got me no closer in finding a Redcap breeder either.

Redcap Farm

NO you did not "already "tell me any thing.
Nor do I care to hear it now..carry on with your misspelling and where ever it is you are going.
Sometimes I screw up and try to help..and sometimes I am so sorry that I do.
This is one of those times.
wink.png

Hi Chickielady

I will try to spell better for you in the future
hide.gif
. As for were I am going I guess I am going to bed as it is close to midnight.
roll.png

Redcap Farm

Quote:
There was one thing different between the two.
Russians had a Rose Comb where as the Russian Orloff has a Walnut Comb like the original Chlianskaia breed they were bred from.

Now they could be different breeds or simply a different variety. Hard to say.

Chris

They were a different bird altogether. Bigger boned, bigger body.

Walt

Which is what the Orloff should still be. Basically, today's stock has been degraded or you might even say it has evolved, but it is still the same breed. It does not change the fact that Russians/Orloffs/Chilianskaia are all essentially the same breed referred to by different names due to regional and chronological factors. When there is no current breed called the Russian or Chilianskaia, I do not believe you can fairly say they are different from the Orloff since at the time the terms were used, they were interchangeable with "Orloff". All terms have been used interchangeably to refer to the same breed through the ages, according to my understanding of the written record available for the breed.

Quote:
NO you did not "already "tell me any thing.
Nor do I care to hear it now..carry on with your misspelling and where ever it is you are going.
Sometimes I screw up and try to help..and sometimes I am so sorry that I do.
This is one of those times.
wink.png

Hi Chickielady

I will try to spell better for you in the future
hide.gif
. As for were I am going I guess I am going to bed as it is close to midnight.
roll.png

It was someone misspelling, anyway, I am not mad at my "waste" of time, I am mad that you are giving up!!
There has to be someone breeding, there is hatcheries selling, they had to get their stock & sell birds to alot of people in order to turn a profit..It just bugs me that we cannot find anyone.
somad.gif

Please don't give up!
This breed most obviously needs more breeders.
I will keep asking around.
Don't give up..
Oh, and have you checked Canada ?
I doubt the redcap would do well up there unless raised totally indoors what with it's large comb...it almost keeps me awake at night trying to think of where we might find this bird.
How long have you searched ?
Maybe I am wasting my time if you have already looked everywhere for years..
he.gif

Redcap Farm

Last edited:
Sorry I got my message in the quote box !
lol.png

I have had the flu for the last 3 days although I feel better than 3 days ago, my brain is still not working correctly: not enough sleep.
Seems like I have been up every hour all night with the nausea & gut cramps.
You know the kind of flu where everything you eat cramps up & goes right through ya ?
OK..probably TMI.
But cannot stop thinking about where there may be red cap for you.
You did get ahold of the people who were supposed to go to Mexico ?
Where are you getting the chicks ?
McMurray ?
Hope they are perfect !
Wish you the best, love to see photos as they grow !!
smile.png

Gosh I feel awful............maybe Illia can help find some breeders too, she knows alot of people....
idunno.gif

Icelandics are a real breed, with huge diversity, its been a closed genepool for close to a thousand years. No other European breed has such a history. Read the thread here on BYC.

Michegan Wrangler where are you at? I am in Luzerne, about 50 miles SW of Alpena.

Who is the Michigan breeder of Icelandics? I am getting some eggs next month. My main chickens are LF RC RIRs, as was posted there are very very few of them.

Jake,

I think the Icelandic is something a little more special than a breed and it does not meet criteria usually used for a breed. It is to me a definable population with little or no inputs from other populations or breeds. The breed concept and its selection system is of recent development and not been applied to Icelandics while in Iceland but that is changing fast in the U.S.

Other breed / populations might be under radar for being unique with minimal inputs from outside the original founding, their representatives from the U.S. may not be good repressentatives. I bet many Islands populations of chickens in the south Pacific would also come out as unique, possibly more so than Icelandics if they were investigated in a similar manner.

Games (American) also include a lot of genetic variation and like Icelandics, generally do not breed true to color except within some lines. The Icelandics are rapidly approaching the same in U.S. Difference with American games is that many lines have had recent genetic inputs from Asian origin. Genetically though, they appear genetically diverse within thier "breed" and in that regard are likely more so than Icelandics.

I have just happened on this thread, and I have reviewed all entries although not read every word. There are many breeds in Europe, Asia and South America that are not present in the U.S. or Canada. Two of my favorite breeds are very rare or quite rare, and both were developed in the U.S. by men who spent many years in their development. One is the Vorwerk Bantam which was developed by Wilmar Vorwerk of Minnesota. This is not the same bird as the German Vorwerk, and it is a bantam only. Another is a large fowl currently know as the McGraw. This bird was developed by Dr. Albert McGraw of Alabama. It is a beautiful Silver Spangled blue egg layer. Both of these gentlemen have gone to the big chicken yard in the sky. It is interesting to speculate why someone would spend decades of time and effort to develop a unique breed of chicken. As relates to these two gentlemen I do not believe financial gain had much if anything to do with it. They had a picture in their mind of a bird that pleased them and set about creating it.

Any of the longcrower breeds that are in the U.S. are rare. THey are rare here as well as elsewhere. I only know of two breeds of longcrower in the US; Tomaru and Denizli.

I don't know why they are so rare. My longcrowers (although they are a mixture of Denizli and Tomaru and a little longtail blood) are good layers of big eggs and are easy to keep, as well as pretty.

Back
Top Bottom