Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
Because the least liked thing about chickens are the roosters and their crowing.
wink.png

Personally if I had the money, I'd put a LOT of work into importing some Kosova Longcrowers. Beautiful, spunky looking birds, a very long crow but deep and quiet at the same time, and truly a rare breed that isn't like our increasingly common finding of more Orpington colors being imported.

I love Long Crowers, but I'm not a fan of a normal single combed looking bird like Denizlis, and I don't care too much for a long high pitched crow. I like mine deep and low, like a monster or dinosaur or something is creating it.

Do you have longcrowers? I don't like the straight combed ones either so I crossed in one cross of sumatra and then backcrossed for a few generations, each time selecting the peacomb chicks to breed from. They are strange birds. I did the same thing with rose comb in a different line, and this year I am crossing the two lines to try to get some cushion combed longcrowers.
I don't know why more people don't get them. Mine lay good and are fun to have around. They are however a work in progress and some are better than others, some no good at all.

Once you get those peacomb ones perfected, let me know...that's what keeps me from getting the single combed ones now...It's far too cold here for anything with a big ol' comb.

Quote:
Because the least liked thing about chickens are the roosters and their crowing.
wink.png

Personally if I had the money, I'd put a LOT of work into importing some Kosova Longcrowers. Beautiful, spunky looking birds, a very long crow but deep and quiet at the same time, and truly a rare breed that isn't like our increasingly common finding of more Orpington colors being imported.

I love Long Crowers, but I'm not a fan of a normal single combed looking bird like Denizlis, and I don't care too much for a long high pitched crow. I like mine deep and low, like a monster or dinosaur or something is creating it.

Bad quality, but impressive, LOL Can you imagine having several of these?
lol.png

Took my RIW to the show, they had him listed as a white rhode island red, and did not know what a RIW was, not if it was an APA/bird accepted into the SOP ?
LOL!
He was the only one, so took BV & BB and lost as American champion due to the back still slightly slanted, but no where near as bad as when he was little.
He is 7 mo old on the 27th....a wonderful NICE Cock...
The kids got a kick out of rubbing his nubby rose comb and he will tap his feet like when you scratch a dog
lol.png

The judge, loved him, said he was super perfect and a beautiful bird..but the slight slant.
Legs, color, feathering, comb, face, everything perfect and spectacular tail.
I talked with him about introducing the SQ white rocks to the flock and he agreed it would produce a perfect bird.
Here is his pic:
50801_2011_monroe_show_013.jpg

MOT at the show.
This is my first time showing although have been to many poultry shows, and I really enjoyed it!
'Cept trying to wash this big bird in the kitchen sink!!
lol.png

Paul...he was very nice, and Educational...very nice guy.
He encouraged me to keep breeding & trying with these birds.
He did say that the RIW came in both standard and rosecomb,,,that confused me but I did not want to debate with him.
wink.png

Walt, I was told that Frank Reese raises RIW, have you heard that ?
Just wondering.
Pullets are laying some large to extra large eggs already...and Blosl X Halback SQ White Rock eggs in the incubator...pip the 27th..so I am going for it...another pen/coop to build
barnie.gif

Quote:
Yes but he also placed a Sumatra with WHITE earlobes and a pink throat above four red-eared, gypsy-colored ones.
roll.png
duc.gif

I had no idea..........
hmm.png
Was it Paul or Brian ?
Paul did tell me very firmly that "these Rhode Island Whites come in both Rose comb and standard comb" I said no, they only come in rose comb and are in no way shape or form related to RIR other than the name....then I stopped as I realized argueing would do no good.
I agree that he obviously did not read his SOP, look how he choose a sick American bird with 1 leg/ankle swollen with gout?????????

Back
Top Bottom