Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
I'm not sure. This was my third year attending Monroe but only my second year of showing. He was one of the judges last year too and so was Heather Hayes. She was the larger black lady with short hair and a cane. She's got some wonderful birds! I am waiting to see who the judge is at Stevenson to see if I will bother entering any birds or even attending.

Quote:
I'm not sure. This was my third year attending Monroe but only my second year of showing. He was one of the judges last year too and so was Heather Hayes. She was the larger black lady with short hair and a cane. She's got some wonderful birds! I am waiting to see who the judge is at Stevenson to see if I will bother entering any birds or even attending.

Stevenson will have Pat Malone, Butch Gunderson, Jamie Carson and Danny Williamson. All very good judges with a lot of experience.

Walt

I was reading about a company which finally succeeded in importing some English Red Orpingtons. They are offering eggs at $200 each. That is not a misprint. Two hundred dollars per egg. Thirteen hundred dollars for a juvenile pair. Yep, $1,300 for TWO chickens.

http://www.orpingtonimports.com

ETA: The only one I see that is more expensive than the Red Orpington is the Chocolate Orpington Large Fowl. The Blue Laced Orpington is mighty pricey, too.

I wonder what they'd think of Roosevelt.
56682_100_1730_roosevelt_and_fully_grown_leghorn_hen.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

Stevenson will have Pat Malone, Butch Gunderson, Jamie Carson and Danny Williamson. All very good judges with a lot of experience.

Walt

Thanks Walt,
Robin

Quote:
just to let you know your bird is not a pure ohiki
they have white ear lobes

Here is a picture of the same Ohiki as a mature Rooster with his proper white earlobes.....it takes a full 2 plus years for Ohiki to mature, but it is worth it..........................................................................chrisf
5439_100mediaimag0482.jpg

Hi, I have Lavender Orpingtons from Jc Hink, and Greenfire .. They are beautiful birds, I sell chicks and eggs. I would be open to trade very rare breeds for some of my Lavenders if anyone wants :)

dose anyone know were I can get blue laced or chocolate Orpingtons? I see the price of them..kinda crazy!..lol..makes me wonder how and who you would sell them to at that price..anyone eles think that would be tough to sell? Im kinda scared to get into such pricey birds and go bust with no one to sell them to..lol

White Chanteclers

$(KGrHqJ,!qIE8WnQh994BPJNQ-y4B!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!iIE8LNufJV7BPJNQo8tb!~~60_57.JPG

Our White Chanteclers were acquired directly from Greg Oakes of Ontario, Canada at the Crossroads Joint National Poultry Show. They are very gentle. These were acquired for my Mother-In-Law, but she prefers red laying hens. So these are now back at our farm.

Greg Oakes keeps three strains of White Chanteclers. One is an old one from Ontario, a recent one from Quebec and the one Greg evolved off of the old Ontario strain. The Greg Oakes strain looks like the one in the standard. The old Ontario strain looks like it has more Cornish with a wide front end and shorter back and the Quebec one looks like it has Wyandotte influence with larger combs and wattles. The Chantecler is a composite.

These are of the “evolved” strain that looks like the one in the Standard of Perfection.

dose anyone know were I can get blue laced or chocolate Orpingtons? I see the price of them..kinda crazy!..lol..makes me wonder how and who you would sell them to at that price..anyone eles think that would be tough to sell? Im kinda scared to get into such pricey birds and go bust with no one to sell them to..lol
Blue laced and Chocolate Orpingtons are either project varieties or imported. Either way, they will be pricey for a few more years. When supply goes up and demand goes down, the prices will start falling.

Back
Top Bottom