Rasied coop? Deep litter method?

whitejerabias

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Is it possible to use deep litter method with a raised coop? We can get a lot of snow in the winters (or none, as this winter is proving) and we are on wet land.

My birds have been on deep litter in their raised coop for 4 months and it is going fine. Just don't plan on any real decomposition... I keep things bone dry to prevent moisture buildup in the wood so the chips look basically the same as when they started. My coop is 4 by 6 feet and I started with one large bale of pine shavings and I add 1/4 bale about once a month. I also stir it up daily and throw in some boss to get the birds scratching. I also sprinkle in about a cup of sweet pdz once in a while if the birds are spending a lot of time in there. My chips don't really decompose in this environment they just break into smaller bits and compact a little.

I am living proof. My 8X8X6 coop is raised up 2ft. so on crappy days like yesterday they can be outside and out of the weather it also serves as a shady spot in summer heat. Gave a thought to the sand method but figured it would be a pia. I use DLM and have had great success, Deeper in the winter to insulate the floor and shallow in summer due to high humidity
Before it was actually finished and neither was the run.

Last edited:
That's what I have. The coop is raised, with about a foot of shavings in there right now. I totally change out the bedding twice a year. In between those cleanings I add another bag as needed. The chickens keep the bedding turned. If I think it needs to be turned more, I'll throw a handfull or two of scratch in there to get the birds going. Like Lokua said, you don't get any real decomposition, the shavings just break down into smaller pieces. And that's all the better for the compost heap.
Jack

Hmm. I was hoping for the decomp for heat. I think a raised coop makes the most sense though since our lad is not level and full of mountain springs. I'll have to see what kinds of mud this spring brings.

I'm desing my coop (will be 4x6 raised about 2 feet, with about 4 chickens to start out with) and want to try the DLM do you think having a 9in depth would be enough or should i go with a foot. Then do you start out with about 4 in of shaving then add to that when needed? JackE you said you have a about a foot in your coop how long did it take to get to that depth? What do you have on your floor and sides, any problem with the wood rotting out, or becuase it does not seam to decompose the moisture does not cause a problem for a wood floor? I was thinking about lining my floor and the sides (thinking 9 in up) with rubberized roof coat product (blackjack# 57 (someone had this in there coop and realy like it) this way the floor and sides will be protected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom