Rasing chickens with Chronic Illness

hi l nice to meet you. btw would you say easter eggers are nice birds with a good temperment ?
I have three EEs and they are all aloof, and I tried to handle them a lot as chicks. I have one barred rock who wasn't handled much at all, but she ended up being the sweetest bird in our flock. She lets you hold and pet her. She's intensely curious and likes to be with you when in the yard. I'd always consider barred rocks for a good flock. The thing with EEs is that they can really be a mix of any chicken since they are a mutt technically. However, all chickens, even within a single breed, can have their own personality. I was told welsummers were flighty, but my welsummer is my second sweetest bird.

Most all of us have a mixed flock so we can experience more breeds. I think first timers benefit greatly with multiple breeds. It allows you to experience multiple personalities, laying habits, feathering ...
My must haves include Easter eggers, barred rocks, Russian orloffs, welsummer and brabanter. All decent producers, docile and visually interesting. Good in snow and heat.
Don't be quick to tear down the carport. You might be able to convert it to a killer coop and covered run. Will keep the mud and snow at bay, will provide a safe walking surface for you (plan for the future that could include walker or wheelchair) and can be converted quickly for little $$...

Most all of us have a mixed flock so we can experience more breeds. I think first timers benefit greatly with multiple breeds. It allows you to experience multiple personalities, laying habits, feathering ...
My must haves include Easter eggers, barred rocks, Russian orloffs, welsummer and brabanter. All decent producers, docile and visually interesting. Good in snow and heat.
Don't be quick to tear down the carport. You might be able to convert it to a killer coop and covered run. Will keep the mud and snow at bay, will provide a safe walking surface for you (plan for the future that could include walker or wheelchair) and can be converted quickly for little $$...
The previous ppl had knocked down one of the posts and it seems weak from carpenter bee damage. So i was going to buy a shed kit, bc to build around the carport would have cost more in materials. The list I have in mind so far of birds Im considering is, Brahma light, wyandotte, polish , I like the Favorelle but I keep hearing mixed things about how they dont look like the pics that hatchery's put up, Dorking , Astra White, and bantam D Uccles, or Sebright. I have been on the fence about Easter Eggers

This was a good perspective. I've loved my mixed flock. Feels much more personal because they DO have unique personalities, colors, sizes, eggs. I love them ^_^

Back
Top Bottom