rasing day old turkeys

I've read that the toms will kill the babies, if not a purpose then by accident by trampling them. If it was me, even though I'd love to let mama do her work, I'd probably just take the babies and brood them myself. I'm such a worrier! lol Maybe after I could afford the chance of a loss I'd let mama brood some of her own.

I'm interested in raising heritage turkeys myself and read a book or two and online articles but never have raised any poults other than the double breasted meat turkeys. The books I've read weren't specifically covering heritage breeds, so maybe they are different?

I keep hoping someone more knowledgable will see this thread and offer some more accurate answers. BYC member Ivan3 raises "self blues", which are absolutely beautiful, maybe you could email for more accurate advise?

All great information! Thank you SOOO much
big_smile.png
!!!

What would you recommend feeding after the gamebird starter??

Would you recommend keeping several turkeys in the same pen or letting them each have their own area? Which works better?

Keep them together, they get lonely. They are very sociable birds, more so than chickens.

Edited to mention you don't want them over crowded in one pen or they'll start pecking each other and turn cannibal. When they're babies it's suggested to use a red brooder lamp. As adults I believe it's 4 square ft of space per bird as a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom