Raspy breathing and no eggs

danielamichela

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Hello, I have a lavender orpington that is about a year old. She stopped laying eggs about 2 months ago, but was very consistent until then. She sits in the nesting box every day, just no eggs. She also has raspy breathing that I've treated with Vet RX off and on. It gets better, but always comes back. She is in a coop with 8 others and they are all fine. She eats and pecks around fine. Any ideas on how to treat the raspiness and encourage egg laying?

How long does she spend in the nest box? Or is she living in there? If she goes into the nest every other day or less for an hour, she might be laying eggs internally. Can you get a video of her rasy breathing, and upload to to YouTube or another sight with a link here? Does she have any npmucus from her beak, nostrils, or any foamy eye drainage?

She is only in the nest box an hour or so/day. This has been going on with no eggs for nearly two months, can they lay internally that long? No outward drainage, but I'll try to go get a video of the raspiness. Thank you!

I had a hen once who never laid an egg for the 18 months I owned her. She would go into the nest box every other day, spending at least an hour, and then go out and run around. I suspected that she was either a false layer or laying internally. Sometimes the egg will go upward and out of the oviduct into the abdomen, instead of coming out of the vent. They become masses of egg matter that accumulate and eventually the hen dies of salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis. Many times we don’t know for sure what is going on until they die, and we can do a necropsy to look at the abdomen.

Yikes! That might be what’s happening. Is there no way to tell if she’s laying internally or prevent it?

Back
Top Bottom