Rat Control

Thanks for your tips. I am not babying them, altho I want to haha. I will send pics tomorrow. But I have it installed just how you said, and it is very sturdy in it's location. When they stand on it, it levels fine and not too hard for them to step on. I did toss a few treats in the feed tray yesterday and that worked, and they put their foot on there. But then after I left the scene, they walked away as well. I think they are waiting for their normal everyday treats I "used" to give them. So, I walk away, then come back in an hour or so. Then have another training session. One girl, Georgia the smart one, is getting it. But then the other two peck her and take her place. Then she walks away. SO, I put her in the coop area by herself, and keep them away from her. I want her to get it first, then I think they will follow. I will post pics tomorrow...thank you!
Hmm, you might be right about them anticipating a regular treat schedule. The bullying happens, lots of people report that the birds lowest on the pecking order learn first.

Goodmorning. Here are the pics of the feeder and how it is installed. It is enclosed in their small coop, which has a door so I can keep them enclosed in there. OR, I open the screen door of the small coop, and they can go out and roam around but it is a small area. There is NOT alot of free range food out there. Just sand and dirt and no weeds are left. So, I don't want to keep them "cooped" up in the smaller coop all day, but maybe I should so they have no alternative but to try the feeder. This morning they looked at it like they didn't have a clue. Georgia the smart one, went on it when I showed her, but then left. I don't know. The others showed no interest. I will keep trying today. But it is getting hard. I am NOT feeding them anything.

Attachments

• treadle 4.jpg
    treadle 4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 9
  • treadle 3.jpg
    treadle 3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Treadle 2.jpg
    Treadle 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Treadle 1.jpg
    Treadle 1.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 9
Cheryl, making an assumption here so correct me if I am wrong. That feeder isn't attached to a wall or post, is it attached to the wood platform? Feeders HAVE to be rock solid or the birds will sense the instability and be afraid to step on the feeder. You do have it weighted down but it needs something like a couple of 10.25" long 2 x4 boards screwed to the wood base and the feeder screwed to the boards. Might not have room for two boards as the feed tray slopes down, a 2 x 6 might work. Put the screws as far apart as possible so the feeder doesn't wiggle at all.

Please check how far the door opens. That looks like a 2 x 6 board under the treadle, if so I am sure that the door isn't opening up all the way. The door ought to hit the back of the feed tray, the angled front side of the hopper that holds the feed. Let me know if I am wrong about that.

That wire link, at the bottom it needs bent up into a U shape. It needs to be able to move freely, if you get it too tight you will see the wire bending and flexing, not a good thing.

Other than that it seems from your posts that one hen gets how to use the feeder but is bullied by the other birds.

Cheryl, making an assumption here so correct me if I am wrong. That feeder isn't attached to a wall or post, is it attached to the wood platform? Feeders HAVE to be rock solid or the birds will sense the instability and be afraid to step on the feeder. You do have it weighted down but it needs something like a couple of 10.25" long 2 x4 boards screwed to the wood base and the feeder screwed to the boards. Might not have room for two boards as the feed tray slopes down, a 2 x 6 might work. Put the screws as far apart as possible so the feeder doesn't wiggle at all.

Please check how far the door opens. That looks like a 2 x 6 board under the treadle, if so I am sure that the door isn't opening up all the way. The door ought to hit the back of the feed tray, the angled front side of the hopper that holds the feed. Let me know if I am wrong about that.

That wire link, at the bottom it needs bent up into a U shape. It needs to be able to move freely, if you get it too tight you will see the wire bending and flexing, not a good thing.

Other than that it seems from your posts that one hen gets how to use the feeder but is bullied by the other birds.
Thanks for your feedback. The feeder is super sturdy. I can hardly move it, because on the top I have a very heavy stepping stone that I can hardly lift. I do need to bend that wire link, but so far it's a little hard for. I gotta get a man to do it. In your video it looks so easy! So...today was a good day. I was depressed at first because they were not going for it. Even Georgia wasn't. So I just prayed (yes, I pray for my chickies!) and by the afternoon, I saw Georgia doing it all by herself without me even showing her! Then the other bully Marilyn got on and then Georgia left. Than the treadle went down. Marilyn walked away, then Georgia went on again, on her own. By the afternoon, Marilyn was kind of copying Georgia with a little prompting from me. Now, Tootsie, she is not much into it. But, she isn't laying much now, so, in time, I think she will catch on. All in all, a good day for treadle training. The door is opening all the way and it looks safe. Thanks for your help! Keep you posted!

Hmm, you might be right about them anticipating a regular treat schedule. The bullying happens, lots of people report that the birds lowest on the pecking order learn first.
Day 5. This morning I slowly went out, and they can't see me approaching, and I heard the treadle go down. Music to my ears. Not sure which one was using it, but slowly but surely, they are getting it. They don't even pay attention to me anymore, the snack mom, because I haven't been giving them any. I have learned thru this process, that chickens will fend for themselves when hungry and they are scratching the coop area bare to find bugs and whatever. I will slowly start giving them snacks here and there, but will do less of that. This feeder will alleviate my rat problem and also the birds that frequent seed all day long. It was hard getting them used to it, but I hung in there!

Do the hot pepper trick get the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and crush them especially the seeds put it around your coop and run and put it where the mounds are it will deture them from coming around I used to have river rats and did this have only seen one in 8yrs
I'm going to try this! Will the chickens eat the hot pepper seeds?

I only feed my birds three times a day and I quickly remove any food they don't finish in about 30 minutes, including their dirty dishes. I still saw a mice hang around the outside of their run, trying to pick up any scraps even though I sweep up the area every night and every time there's a spill. I'm terrified of mice so I'd rather not try and dispose their bodies! I had trapped a mice once and all I did was cry because I got so scared lol

Btw, does leaving the waterer out attract mice too?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom