Rat Lovers (PICS included)

Awwwwww.....such cuties!!!! I haven't had a rat in years, makes me want to run out and get one!!!
love.gif

I had a similar problem recently with my oldest son's hamster (I know, not a rat....) and someone on here suggested that she might be rubbing on the bars of her cage. I switched her to a glass tank and the sores/scabs completely healed in no time.

The problem with switching over to a tank would be :

1. my babies would have less room to play
sad.png

2. Respitory infection

I once had them in a 30 gal tank but changed it to my 4 story pen
smile.png

I think you may be right, we had to put rat wire around the pen, because my youngest rat was small enough to get out through the bars, and ive seen her rub on those a few times

Back when I had rats horse wormer worked for those scabs. Mites are so hard to see and one rat could just be more prone to them. Like some people getting eaten up my mosquito's and other barely get bit. Ivermectin horse wormer and use just a small amount. The size of a grain of rice on a toothpick.

Alot better. My hooded mink doe only has a few scabs left, and I figured out it was just from the rat wire that was around the cage so that she couldnt get out. ( the cage was originally for a ferret)

I'm glad you figured out what was causing her issue
smile.png
You can rub a little olive oil on her tail ..she'll lick it off, instinctively ....and it will help supplement her skin and coat.
wink.png

As for mites... most people are unaware that paper bedding products (and especially wood chips and flakes) are PRONE to harbor mites! Yes, the NEW packages straight from the store or wherever. You can avoid passing this onto your furry kids by simply putting the bedding (unopened, even) into your freezer for 48 hours prior to using it ..and all mites, eggs, etc. will perish and not affect your animals.

If you find that you have mites on your animals ..and scabs usually mean mites ...and not the wire cages they are in ...Revolution for kittens is a very good remedy and preventative that you can get from your Vet.

Ivermectin and Ivomec, etc. ...those are good, but you have to be very careful with the "home" dosing of those. Those are made ideally for animals that weigh multiple pounds ...and ratties very seldom reach weights of even ONE pound. Males are an exception, occasionally
tongue.png

The only paper bedding I have, is a paper bag from a grocery store as well as the newspaper that is under the grate at the bottom

Back
Top Bottom