Rat problem almost solved, and the one thats left...

If you're worried about them storing the bait and some other animal getting it, there is a newer product I heard about called Rat X. Apparently it's not poisonous to anything except rats and mice because of how their digestive system works. You or your chickens could eat it and be just fine (apparently). I have no experience with this product but I was thinking of purchasing it because it already kind of looks like the chicken feed pellets that the rats like. I could just mix some in and they might not notice. You may want to check this out.
That sounds very clever
I'm not too worried about other animals though, as I have an idea where they store it but it's super hard for me to access it frequently, it entails moving very heavy stores. Only rats and mice can get underneath, though, so not too worried there

If you're worried about them storing the bait and some other animal getting it, there is a newer product I heard about called Rat X. Apparently it's not poisonous to anything except rats and mice because of how their digestive system works. You or your chickens could eat it and be just fine (apparently). I have no experience with this product but I was thinking of purchasing it because it already kind of looks like the chicken feed pellets that the rats like. I could just mix some in and they might not notice. You may want to check this out.
Strong suggestion: do more research before trying this.

No matter what the marketing may say about it being safe for non-rodents, I would not mix it into the feed you give your chickens unless you thoroughly research what ingredients are in it, and what effect they would have on chickens. Many things are safe in small amounts, but harmful in larger amounts, and you don't want to harm your chickens by mistake.

You should probably also research how much the rats need to eat. Mixing it with chicken feed would make it likely that rats will eat some of each-- would they get enough to kill them? Or would it be diluted enough that they are fine?

I doubt that you could fool the rats by mixing it with the chicken feed. They would probably notice that it was different. They might eat it anyway if they found it appetizing, or they might not, but I'm pretty sure they would at least notice.

No matter what the marketing may say about it being safe for non-rodents, I would not mix it into the feed you give your chickens unless you thoroughly research what ingredients are in it, and what effect they would have on chickens. Many things are safe in small amounts, but harmful in larger amounts, and you don't want to harm your chickens by mistake.

You should probably also research how much the rats need to eat. Mixing it with chicken feed would make it likely that rats will eat some of each-- would they get enough to kill them? Or would it be diluted enough that they are fine?

I doubt that you could fool the rats by mixing it with the chicken feed. They would probably notice that it was different. They might eat it anyway if they found it appetizing, or they might not, but I'm pretty sure they would at least notice.
I probably wouldn't put anything in my girls food anyway, for a number of reasons, including simply being on the safe side.
But also if I put food on the outside of my pen, the rats hardly bother with the food in my duck pen- they go for the easier food that isn't being guarded by big birds.
As long as the food I give them is lethal, I prefer putting food outside the pen for the rats exclusively

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. I mostly have rats in my garage. I would just put out some chicken feed in the garage (my chickens cannot access the garage) as bait for the rats, let them enjoy it for a few days, and then mix the Rat X with the feed so they eat it. I didn't mean I would actually be putting it near my chickens haha. Some people I've seen on Youtube have, but I don't trust that and wouldn't want to risk it.

I've already done "sanitation", I even moved my entire coop to check behind and underneath, blocked an entrance, etc etc. Feed is secured, and the garden is tidy around the pen. I did that while catching and relocating.
Now the population has decreased, I'm thinking I need to use a *humane* kill method to get the last ones.

I do obviously need to secure my coop, Im well aware that more rats, if not other animals, will fill the void. But I cant afford new wire right now, so I'm doing the best I can to deal with the current problem before doing the pen.
I'm hoping to secure it and upgrade my setup in a few weeks, once I can afford it. Consider it spring cleaning

But in the mean time, the current rodent/s are becoming confident enough to run at my birds and I cant take that risk.
I definitely won't be using poison, electric traps seem more humane and almost, if not equally as effective
What kind of feeders are you using? That is the most likely attraction bringing the rodents in and keeping them around. Of the three methods securing the coop (exclusion) is one of the most expensive and the hardest to achieve.

What kind of feeders are you using? That is the most likely attraction bringing the rodents in and keeping them around. Of the three methods securing the coop (exclusion) is one of the most expensive and the hardest to achieve.
Admittedly my feeder is very poor, its on the ground and the rats have a very easy time coming and going
I am thinking about changing it to a different feeder, something the rats will have a harder time getting into...

That said, the problem is decreasing, again.
I've resorted to poison which seems to be yielding very good results. I scaresly see any rats, now. Whereas before they had become rampant.
I'm fairly confident that the measures taken are doing well.
Just perhaps not as fast the results would be if I were to do more, which I know I'm at fault at

There is the problem then. The thing about poison is once you have cleared out a population another group of rats will move right back in. Solve the problem instead of dealing with the symptoms.
I can't financially afford to deal with every part of the problem.
Nor do I have the energy currently
I'm doing the best I can with what I have.
The feeder I can deal with, I planned on making one, but ended up using that container to help me with another problem.

Step 1, reduce the population right now
Step two, deal with everything else as a preventative for next time. As soon as I'm able to

I can't financially afford to deal with every part of the problem.
Nor do I have the energy currently
I'm doing the best I can with what I have.
The feeder I can deal with, I planned on making one, but ended up using that container to help me with another problem.

Step 1, reduce the population right now
Step two, deal with everything else as a preventative for next time. As soon as I'm able to
can you at possibly hang up the feeder or try and make it less easy to get to?

Back
Top Bottom