rat snap traps ARE working

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chooniecat, May 12, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I didn't want to use poisons,glue traps or drowning for rat control as they seemed the most cruel way of doing it and was told snap traps would do no good(most thought that anyhooo) but I have caught 3 young rats in 3 days(of course we have more,just not sure how many) unfortunately I had to finish the job on the first 2(I was there when the trap snapped) because my letting the chickens loose seems to be a cue for the rats to come out from under shed (chickens stomping on shed scares them????) It was not fun but I still think this is the best way to do it. and I have learned better how to position the trap for efficient snapping on subject. I keep the set PB baited trap covered with a weighted down milk crate and the second trap is in a wire dog kennel so only the rats will fit in. the kennel is also covered on 3 sides to encourage the rat to enter in the correct position and to keep pet paws out. plus its raining so I make the whole area more attractive (keep traps dry)by covering up cage with piece of plywood. there is STILL no evidence of rats in shed(droppings,chewed containers,urine?)

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

That sounds like a great way to contain the trap. Now to catch some adults [​IMG]

So far I have not had to battle rats - but have battled mice, moles and ground squirrels. Thankfully my BC dog really loves the chase/catch and gladly goes after the brats. [​IMG] I keep trying to teach the chickens to chase the mice - but so far it is a no go! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by