Rat Terrier good farm dog? opinions please...

So GLAD to see "Poodle" on your list!

Standard Poodles are such NICE dogs!

Don't know what kind of guard dogs they are---they were bred to hunt in watery areas. They DO NOT Shed. Never owned one, just got lots of feedback from poodle owners.

Just make sure that Whatever you get, you get a puppy!
big_smile.png

here is my 2 cents on rat terriers- I had two growing up, they are both gone now, the younger of the two died last year, but both lived to be 16 years old! Ours were primarily outdoor dogs, as my dad won't allow our dogs to live in the house with us, but they did very well outside, although we have mild winters in Georgia. As they got older they started to sleep in the garage, but by this point we rarely kept them penned because they never really wandered. In my experience they are very loyal and will not stray far from home, great farm dog quality! I got chickens when Jack and Sue were already about 8-9 years old. They never touched them. In fact, when I got a duck, she thought she was a dog and they even slept together. The chickens and the dogs free-ranged together and it was never an issue. Sue, the more cranky of the two, would sometimes give them a warning lunge/growl, but the most she ever did was ruffle a feather. They are excellent with other pets once they know it is part of the family. We added chickens, guinea pigs, gerbils and cats to the family, and the dogs both took it all in stride. Maybe I just don't remember, but ours were never very hyper or high strung. They loved to hike and take walks and all, but were never too crazy. This could also be because they had free run of our entire yard and had ample opportunity to burn off energy. I get the feeling they are bred to be a little bit more energetic, but if you find a good breeder that has some laid back dogs, there is nothing better!

As far as the lap dog aspect, they are great for this as well. Sue did not really crave attention, but if you let her sit on your lap she would stay for hours. Jack absolutely loved getting petted and was pushier than Sue, but didn't really like to get on your lap. As you can tell I love to brag about my dogs, and I miss them terribly! The dog I have now is definitely neither good with animals nor very affectionate. (Steer clear of weimaraner/husky mixes...not that it's too difficult...) I would highly recommend a rat terrier. It sounds like a female would be better for you for the lap dog factor, but many males are affectionate as well. I recommend buying from a good breeder, and take note of the parents' behavior. You may even be lucky enough to find someone that has a farm and raises them with other animals. Good luck in your search! Also, like others have said, they think they are bigger than all other dogs, so they will most likely put even your large dogs in their place! Boy, that got a little long, but I just wanted to share my experiences!

I have had a rat terrier for 9 years...my husbands idea...not mine, I'm a big dog person. She is a sweet dog, but a chicken killer if she's gets the chance. She used to be a kitten killer too, but I broke her of that after catching her in the act.

I adore my Rat Terrier.

She weighs 6 pounds and her name is "Micro." She sneaks out of every little crack in the fence and makes friends with the neighbors. When my car pulls into the driveway, she goes nuts carrying on and jumps in the driver's seat licking me to death. Looove her
smile.png

n548701984_1179044_5425.jpg

She plays very well with the rest of my menagerie, too!
n548701984_1066301_7618.jpg

n548701984_1066298_6955.jpg

My grandfather had a Rat terrier on the farm when I was growing up. She seemed unconcerned with the animals but was the best 'mouser' we ever had. I would think if you got a young one and taught it right and wrong it may be better trained than an older dog brought into the situation. Ours actually bit my dads friend because he tried to go into the room where my sister and I (age3,4) were playing. They are very loyal. She actually passed a week after my grandfather behind his chair where she always napped.
I have a beagle who must be exceptional, when we brought the chicks into the house she thought they were her puppies. Now a year later she walks among them in the yard and more than anything looks in on them. She even helps me get them rounded up sometimes. She roams the property for an hour a couple times a day then comes to the door, barks and comes right in. Maybe female dogs are more protective and less territorial.

The thing you have to remmber with all terriers is that they were breed for the most part to hunt vermin, they are small but very busy very opinionated and alot of them still like to hunt , this could be ok on a farm if you have rodent problems but they can go the extrem I know someone that had a rat terrier get in and kill about 13 full size chickens in a matter of about an hour. and she had fenceing ect these werrnt free range they can dig burrow and climb.
If you give them enough time attention and exersize and training they are fantastic dogs but if you ahve a chicken / rabbit whatever killer they will never be anything but that and its hard to get rid of an animal you get attatched to even if they are doing horrible damage.

I had a rat terrier named daizee untill august when she was hit and killed by a car. she was a wonderful house dog, very smart, and loved everyone. she didnt bark alot, and was probably the best dog you could ask for. except she could not be trusted around the chickens, turkeys, ducks, or other small animals. she would without a doubt kill them. she killed numerous of our animals, and so she couldnt leave the fenced area unless she was on a leash being supervised.

Last edited:
I have had Rat Terriers for years. Currently we have 6.
The breed was developed on American farms in the 1950's. They make great little farm dogs and good lap dogs at the end of the day.
Mine are with free range chickens, turkeys, horses, goats and I don't have any problems with them going after any of them. And they are smart enough not to get kicked or stepped on by the larger livestock.
Mine did chase down the guineas though. Since I never liked all the noise from the guineas I just gave them away....problem solved. The thing with guineas is that they would overreact when they saw a dog...or pretty much anything else. It was their noise and running and wing flapping that the dogs couldn't resist.
I start taking my pups out to the barn between 6 and 8 weeks old. They explore everything and the farm animals teach them about boundries. It only takes a couple of confrontations with an angry hen to learn that chickens can hurt them. This lesson sticks with them through adulthood. None of the pups have been seriously hurt by and of the livestock. But they did learn to stay away from eating pigs and angry chickens.
Anyway, I love my rats and know they make great farm dogs...that is where they came from.
If you start with a pup, you shouldn't have any problems as long as they are raised along side the livestock.
Another thing about RT's. Like all dogs, they roll in all kinds of stuff outside. But, by the end of the day their coats are clean again. I love that about them.

maybe this thread will be as helpful to others as it has been to me. Our minds have been made up that we'll wait. Something somewhere at some stage will happen and we'll find the right small breed dog for us. I'm sure. We're in no hurry anyway. We do have three dogs currently so it's not like i'm going through doggy withdrawl or anything. I was just impressed with the dogs I met that one day. Although everyone has made very valid points, I think the general concesus is that because of their breed, they tend to be a bit more risky around poultry. So we'll just wait and see what the futre brings us. Thanks everyone
smile.png

I'm very grateful for this thread. We are currently looking for a working farm dog to add to our family.

It seems that a Rat Terrier, from a good breed line, when started at a young age and trained well and acclimated to the farm and animals, should fit the bill.

Thank you all very much!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom