Rate my Coop/run!

Audialogical

Chirping
Aug 31, 2022
Okay so I have six chickens in the big run right now and 15 chicks in the little run and coop. Set this up in the dark last night and want to run it by the pros here for any more pointers before I consider it done! I know my main coop is small it can realistically hold about 12 but I was hoping after culling roosters or by adding the small coop to the larger run later I could get away with not buying a shed until next year.

Attachments

• 684EAE32-C980-4ABE-B6CF-0A08598FD68E.jpeg
    684EAE32-C980-4ABE-B6CF-0A08598FD68E.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 6BA33A68-1403-4159-A542-30C3D050338E.jpeg
    6BA33A68-1403-4159-A542-30C3D050338E.jpeg
    796.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 02887D12-DA40-4946-9896-6033C35D9A2F.jpeg
    02887D12-DA40-4946-9896-6033C35D9A2F.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 19
Oh also I’m adding a door to my small run today that’s the one thing I know I need to finish. I used to just slide it away but not with this many chics in there. Gotta wire it together and make a door.

I'm impressed you managed to build this in just a day.

There are some issues.
The size is not enough for 12 chickens as you say you're hoping for.

If the Sun Diamond crate is the coop for adults, I can't see any ventilation on it. Can we see more pictures of that specifically?

The run being chain link offers protection against large predators like dogs, but it doesn't stop racoons, possums, weasels, or any similar sized predators that are the most common thieves of chicken enjoyment. Adding 1/4 to 1/2 inch Hardware Cloth would be a good idea.

I'm impressed you managed to build this in just a day.

There are some issues.
The size is not enough for 12 chickens as you say you're hoping for.

If the Sun Diamond crate is the coop for adults, I can't see any ventilation on it. Can we see more pictures of that specifically?

The run being chain link offers protection against large predators like dogs, but it doesn't stop racoons, possums, weasels, or any similar sized predators that are the most common thieves of chicken enjoyment.
Okay so the sun diamond crate has been drilled two rows of holes all the way around the top right over the writing so It’s hard to see for top ventilation. About finger sized I have been using it for about a month. Right now six chickens don’t even take up even half the room inside I have a roost ladder across the whole thing.

I didn’t do it all overnight but I took everything and put it together like this, last night in the dark.

I have 10 foot cinderblock walls around my property and in older Vegas we don’t have anything I need to worry about besides hawks and not likely because I live near a small airport right in the takeoff path. Predators are a non issue. The run is to keep pooo mostly contained also because I did not make a door for my coop (because I have a spine disability so making them wait for me to turn them out isn’t fair when I wake up late days I can’t sleep from pain.) so they let themselves into the run whenever they want. I know the crate won’t be big enough for all 15-20 I will end up keeping but going to cross that bridge when I get there I have only spent money on the small coop and the feeders and I don’t have a big budget being disabled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 21
Also if you are wondering dimensions for the run itself it’s 18x8 wth another 6x4 under the crate, plus the 2small 2x2 coops with another 4x6 run I was thinking about making connect to the rest ( with a escape door on each side) when the chics grow out.

If you're in the heat of Las Vegas then I'd be adding way more ventilation - like take a saw and cut out a larger rectangle where you've drilled all those holes and then mesh it over.

I dunno what predators there are in LV but I don't think there will be many that get into your yard, so you may be ok without adding hardware cloth onto the chain link. I prefer deep dry bedding in the run, so I'd be adding a perimeter of wood about 6-8" tall to contain it from spilling out the chain link.

Personally I'd be changing up the roost bars as to me the 1x2s are too small material for support, also the orientation isn't likely very comfortable on the feet. Space might be alright if you're removing potential roosters from the flock.

If you're in the heat of Las Vegas then I'd be adding way more ventilation - like take a saw and cut out a larger rectangle where you've drilled all those holes and then mesh it over.

I dunno what predators there are in LV but I don't think there will be many that get into your yard, so you may be ok without adding hardware cloth onto the chain link. I prefer deep dry bedding in the run, so I'd be adding a perimeter of wood about 6-8" tall to contain it from spilling out the chain link.

Personally I'd be changing up the roost bars as to me the 1x2s are too small material for support, also the orientation isn't likely very comfortable on the feet. Space might be alright if you're removing potential roosters from the flock.
The only thing I am worried about with the ventilation being bigger is it gets cold here too our Granny flats pipes froze last winter. I Did sand the edges of those 2x1 but I did just get some new 2x2 scraps I can probably upgrade that ladder soon.

All 15 chics are in the one with the open door, funny how they want to fly away from the brooder but are scared to go outside now. It was their first night outside in the coop last night and so far o three brave babies he come outside and found the way back to food and water inside.

Attachments

• 9BFD0BE2-9938-428C-9940-FC28FD537CA6.jpeg
    9BFD0BE2-9938-428C-9940-FC28FD537CA6.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 17
You can make a simple baffle for windows if it's too much in the winter - like a sliding door, a hinged cover, cover with holes sliding over two nails, magnets/velcro/etc would all work if needed.
2x2 roost bars would be better than 1x2s if you have scraps of that (even better is natural branches, 2x3s or 2x4s) - you can screw them in through the side supports instead of sitting them on top, to orient them flat.

You can make a simple baffle for windows if it's too much in the winter - like a sliding door, a hinged cover, cover with holes sliding over two nails, magnets/velcro/etc would all work if needed.
2x2 roost bars would be better than 1x2s if you have scraps of that (even better is natural branches, 2x3s or 2x4s) - you can screw them in through the side supports instead of sitting them on top, to orient them flat.
I have some extra super smal hardware cloth right now I thinK when I work today I’ll cut off at least the top back accessible side And just cut a rectangle over the holes that was my original plan I think but I had no more wire at the time and it’s not crowded now so it thankfully had worked so far.

Back
Top Bottom