ratio of crumbles to scratch

With that many birds I’d consider free ranging to cut down on your feed cost or rotational grazing. Plus feeding all your scraps to them.
I agree with the above posts on what purpose do you keep such a large flock for?
With those numbers you should be able to make back a substantial amount of monies.

Really?!
Crumbles or pellets?
Got pics?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/in-praise-of-the-traditional-hanging-feeder.1452899/

1627510478726.png

Pellets flow better through it than crumble, but crumble flow is adequate -- sometimes assisted by me giving it a shake when it's VERY humid.

The deep bottom pan and the rolled lip prevent almost all spillage. I never find feed on the ground.

Scratch isn't really necessary. It's just carbs. I would ditch that and stick to plain chicken feed.

Not being funny, but what reason do you have for keeping such a huge flock? Do you sell eggs for eating or hatching, breed them, raise chickens for meat or to sell as layers or chicks...?

If you cannot afford to feed this large a flock, then perhaps look at downsizing.
Yes I do sell my eggs and I have some very loyal customers. As my younger ones start laying I am going to sell at the local farmer's market. My original question was does anyone out there mix scratch and crumbles together? And if so at what ratio? 1 to 1, 1 to 2, etc... I am retired and husband works out of town so I like having all these chickens. They are a little overwhelming at times when all their waterers and feeders are empty. My husband says just feed scratch. I know from research that just crumbles isn't good enough. I mix because the crumbles would turn to complete powder if that's all I fed.

I have selected my flock with alot of thought and research such as size, color, temperment.

I was just looking for advice. But your calculations are way off. I buy approximately 6 50lb bags a month and my egg sales cover that.

I know from research that just crumbles isn't good enough.

This is backwards. Commercial feed is carefully formulated to provide nutrition for production.

Scratch is chicken candy.

If you have a problem with crumble going to powder you could switch to pellets. I buy whichever is fresh and affordable at the protein level I prefer and my chickens eat whatever I put into their feeders.

My original question was does anyone out there mix scratch and crumbles together? And if so at what ratio? 1 to 1, 1 to 2, etc...
Mix it however you want...there's no magic ratio.
Unless you want to figure out protein levels.
For example: 1 part 20% feed and 1 part 8% scratch would be 14% protein.
20+8 = 28 then 28/2 = 14
The higher the ratio of scratch, the lower the nutrition, which will mean fewer eggs.

If you are having problems with powdery feed, which happens from time to time, but is **seemingly** more prevalent with some feed brands and some locations, you can wet it to an oatmeal like consistency. Will greatly reduce waste (though you can't use it in a gravity feeder, obviously), and it *may* help chickens with the unusual heat many of us are suffering.

As to scratch ratios? I consider it "treats", not to exceed 10% (by weight) of the total diet. As @aart and others have said, its a high colorie low value food source, and will reduce their overall nutritional intake. If you are already feeding a minimally sufficient diet, any significant quantity or frequency of scratch risks nutritional problems and their long term health, in the absence of other supplimentary sources.

Last edited:
Yes I do sell my eggs and I have some very loyal customers. As my younger ones start laying I am going to sell at the local farmer's market. My original question was does anyone out there mix scratch and crumbles together? And if so at what ratio? 1 to 1, 1 to 2, etc... I am retired and husband works out of town so I like having all these chickens. They are a little overwhelming at times when all their waterers and feeders are empty. My husband says just feed scratch. I know from research that just crumbles isn't good enough. I mix because the crumbles would turn to complete powder if that's all I fed.

I have selected my flock with alot of thought and research such as size, color, temperment.

I was just looking for advice. But your calculations are way off. I buy approximately 6 50lb bags a month and my egg sales cover that.
Why do their feeders and waterers get empty?

Maybe add in a few more so that they don't run out if it's too much hassle refilling them often.

As you've been advised, the scratch is poor nutrition. If you want to keep your customers happy, your hens healthy, and maintain egg production, then you need to provide good nutrition. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps raise your prices a little if you can't afford good quality feed.

Pellets are a good alternative to crumbles and they tend to waste much less.

In the summer heat chickens tend to eat less. So if you mix scratch (which as others have stated, isn’t nutritious) with crumble then you are diluting the nutrients available to the flock even more, given the fact that they tend to eat less in summer. This is one of the reasons why thin-shelled eggs are more common during the summer heat. They drink more, and eat less, getting less of the calcium that they need.

I think others have given you excellent advise on different methods for reducing price, but mixing scratch was not among that advise.

Back
Top Bottom