Rats!! Get 'em girls!!

maggiec1951

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
west central florida
When I opened the coop this morning out came my girls in typical form; wanting to see what I had brought them to eat and to be petted. As I was bent over putting down the oatmeal out of the coop came a very "henpecked" rat. It was so disoriented and suffering from blood loss
lau.gif
(I HATE rats) that it came towards me, surely not for protection I hope 'cause I tried to stomp it
sickbyc.gif
but only got its tail before it scampered off. I let the girls out to free range so I could find it and kill it. Went to get the shovel and the stupid thing walked toward me again but this time I had the shovel. The girls put themselves to bed last night, as usual, but most nights as soon as they are in the coop I close the door. The coop is in their run/yard so they are protected and gate is closed. Last night we went out and didn't get back until around 8:00 and I went out and closed the door so I suppose he could have gotten in beforehand. It got really cold - for here - down in low 40's. That's really cold for those of us who live where if it gets below 65, a major cold front has come through and we turn on the heat. Do chickens typically attack rats? They wouldn't go near it after I killed it.

I also had a problem with rats. They had borrowed into the coop, gone under the buried fencing I had, and come up around the feed. I got on BYC and found several insights about what to do. I wound up putting the cubed rat poison where they were getting in (the chickens are fenced off from one whole side of their coop). Just two cubes and the rats disappeared.

I bought one of those battery operated electric rat zappers. The only draw back is that you have to put it somewhere where it stays dry. And you wouldn't want your hens to get near it. They COULD potentially stick their heads in there and get a shock. Not likely. But I'm not chancing it.

And as a side note, there's a dead rat in the zapper this morning. I just messaged my husband to go dig a hole for the thing.

Quote:
Thanks. There is a tree where I think the rats have nested - right in the run. I suspect that the rats have been there longer than the chickens, however. No matter who has been there the longest, I want the rats gone gone gone...
rant.gif
and they can take the mosquitoes with them.

Back
Top Bottom