Rats...live with 'em or trap 'em?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Autumn Mama, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Hi all,

We are building a coop soon for our new chicks and i have some concerns about rats. Recently we discovered that they are nesting at the bottom of our compost bin ( a pallett-special [​IMG]) and I'm wondering if any of you with a flock of layers bother with trying to get rid of them? Or do you just live and let live? We plan to predator proof the coop and rodent proof as much as is possible, though ideas on rodent-proofing are definitely welcome...

We live on a farm with barn-fuls of grain-eating animals all around us on neighbouring farms, So, the rats are here, and I wonder if it makes any sense to get rid of them by trapping etc? Our farm is certified organic, so I have to be careful about chemical controls too...

What do you all do? [​IMG]

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    What the cat doesn't get, we set traps for. They've been a bigger problem for the car and truck wiring than anything else. Cost $1500 to re-wire the wifes Honda last year after a rat set up housekeeping under the hood. They also decided the air cleaner on the truck would be a good home.[​IMG]

3. I have rats under the barn office floor. Some are pretty darn big.

I put up the food every night and make SURE the eggs are collected .

I have traped a few of them, but lately I have used poison. It does not seem to help though.

I have set up a trap in an old pet cage with the bottom taken out.

The rats can get in, but the chickens can not. I open the cage and set the trap and then close and lock it.

I have used cheese, cooked bacon and sweet grain.

I would seriously suggest that you trap 'em cause they become a big, big problem with numbers alone.

They can and will klll young chicks.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Get your self some cats and then start trapping them. Poisions are a bad idea for many reasons. Rats will come because of the food source and they will multipy like crazy. Rats carry disease and will cause all kinds of trouble. We have even had them get into our house.

Another concern is rats will attract snakes since that is a food source for them. Here snakes are not a problem for us because we do snake rescues all the time but most people are scared of snakes. Just something else to thing about.

Get rid of them before they become a huge problem because they will. Rimshoe is right, they will kill your young birds.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we use poison... always have for the last 12 years. Works well if you do it properly.

6. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Same here.

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    We would probably use poison to but with all my outside animals I'm terrified one would get ahold of a rat that has eaten the poison. Just not an options for us but it sure would make the job easier. Here its a non stop job. We have managed to keep them out of the house lately but we find them everywhere outside. I love when we disturb a nest around a coop and the rats start running than the chickens start chasing the rats. Great chicken T.V.

9. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    they have ground squirel traps that you set in the hole and scissor traps them. They work great! Only thing that I found that would work.

10. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    I have 3 black boxes with the green poison rings, helps control the rat effectively. And it used to be pretty bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by