RATS RATS EVERYWHERE!

We had a friend leave their cat in the run for a few days! She said it worked and now the cat will occasionally spend a night in the coop/run just to sure!
I’m not convinced my cat wouldn’t try and attack my chicks yet so I wouldn’t go that route but maybe if you have a cat that gets along with yours??

Don't do what I did as a teenager 40+ years ago which was pouring gasoline down a few holes and throwing a match in one of them. The initial adrenaline rush of seeing a bevy of Norway rats scramble out of the holes on fire (remember I was a teenager) quickly dissipated when the coop and adjacent woods caught on fire. Me and a buddy of mine like to have never gotten the fires doused. I actually had to end up getting rid of that flock of chickens altogether due to the rat problems after having a very large male rat attack me one evening while I was gathering eggs. It was scary.

There are domestic cats who will take on rats, and some who won't. My barn cat let me know that rats are my problem, years ago, when they turned up in the barn. I had all the critters (him included) on lockdown, and used poison, and no more rats in the barn.
Some large chickens will also kill rats (think Malays, for example) but only during the day, and rats are mostly nocturnal.
I'm not using fire on anyone! It's tempting, given the ground hogs under our barn, but not doing it. And I too can see the barn going up in flames along with the critters.
Mary

Okay so I found an example of the trap my mom is used. They are child and dog proof too and not too expensive.
View attachment 2190156
If you’re trying for more natural way I came across this old thread a while ago. Go to post #5 they used pepper flakes to get rid of them. Not sure if it’s work but It must have for them! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-proof-coop.40770/post-425444
I'm not suggesting you use poison or the rat bait boxes. They worked for me. I use the same rat bait box. I like it because I can check the bait as often as I want through the little window above the bait and it is child and dog proof. The bait that came with the bait box wasn't too appealing to the rats so upon a suggestion from a friend I tried a different bait and the rats loved it. I didn't find any dead rats around. I'm pretty sure they went into the tunnels they had dug around the coops. Like Mary, I had a coop that was infested. I didn't have any insulation in the wall cavity but the rats did chew holes in the wall and make nests in them. When I tore them and the ceiling out, dozens of rats poured out of all sizes. I put my rat bait boxes in our barn which is behind our coops because I had seen rats in the barn. I did some research and found that secondary poisoning is rare and the critters that would eat the dead rats would have to consume quite a few to be poisoned. As I said, I have not found any dead rats laying around. If there are tunnels around your coop, most likely they are rat tunnels. I'm sure that's where the rats went that ate the poison bait from the bait boxes here since I didn't find any dead rats laying around. This was the infested coop. Good luck...
IMG_20180214_123653.jpg
IMG_20180220_165446.jpg
RatBait.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg

When I started taking out the ceiling I had a couple jump on me. They were going crazy but the ceiling was coming down.

I'll take a picture of the inside of the bait boxes so you can see what they look like inside. There is a partition down the middle on the inside and the rats have to go around it to get to the bait.
RatBaitStationRev.jpg

I really like domestic rats, but not the wild ones! Especially not in the barn or coop...
Unplanned boarders are never good; we are dealing with red squirrels and mice in our attic right now, not happily. And bait is involved up there too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom