RATS!! too smart to get caught, help!

Quote:
Hmmm... I didn't know that. I have a gallon of organic insecticide that is peppermint and rosemary oils. I think I'll mix some some up with a mineral oil base and spray down the outside foundation of the layer barn.

Catching them is tricky but once you have live rats, it's easy to find snake owners or birds of prey owners who will take them, just put an ad on craigslist.

I'm so glad this was bumped! We moved into our new place last week and the chicken coop is infested with rats. So is the woodshop. We wont be poisoning as we have pets and small children, but the previous owner did apparently just dump a tonne of poison all over to "help"(is not helping really). Im going to try the p.o.p thing and the bucket thing, we have found 3 drowned rats in a water tub outside, one random dead rat, and my husband has shot 8 with our 22 shot. We only have guinea hens now, but the previous owners left feed out everywhere, and stored garbage in the woodshop. Also, none of the buildings are properly sealed, we have a lot of work to do, at least now I have great ideas on how to control the situation!

Last edited:
Lots of useful info on here! I'm having trouble myself. I think I'll try the slippery bait can :p. I'm afraid to use poison pellets or traps because I'm afraid my birds will get into it or maybe the cats or dogs (yes my cats are useless, they refuse to eat mice or rats, and if I hold back on their food, they just go eat the chicken feed -.-) I did have a rat snake, but I had to do away with him when I found him eating my eggs
1f623.png
.. How deep of a slippery bait can do y'all suggest? I don't know how high the little suckers jump

I think those big 5gal/25Litre buckets would be good. We are going to make one probably tomorrow as today was a bust.

Oh man lol! My cat is killing rats, my husband saw her out back and then like 10 seconds later heard the screeching of a rat. So I think at least 10 have been killed.10 of probably more then I'd ever want to know about :p

Back
Top Bottom