Rats

I've been using chunx bait for 3 years. In all that time I've only witnessed one chipmunk dead on the lawn. Threw it in trash on route to letting chickens out. Had multiple outdoor cats and in new location a dog. Never had a problem using chunx. Where I lived previously had a neighbor use (prior to my poison use) pellet poison which ended up killing another neighbors dog. Highly recommend chunx and tamper proof boxes. The beauty of block "chunx" is it's chewed off so nothing is strewn about for other non target animals to eat and the beauty of a tamper proof box is nothing can open it or get in unless the size of a rat or smaller. 99.999 (add infinity) percent of rodents killed have gone back to nests to feed young and all died there. Whether there is an out shed, barn or hole in the ground. Not in open where other animals would eat them. It's the best preventive system. If used there will never be a problem as very small populations die in nests after moving into localized area of chicken pen and storage shed. The one dead rodent (chipmunk) found was first year of use when over run with both chipmunks and rats. Rats under compost pile coming up from river and chipmunk holes over the entire yard. Disaster! Problem bearable in months time and completely fixed in two. Went through more poison being right on a river for general management thereafter and very little at new home. Here it is the start of 4th year and still have over a pound of chunks left from original 4lbs bucket. Use so little here, never dealt with population explosion, believe that it will last another two years. The next bucket will last even longer as I'll never be taking out hundreds from the start only slow management of area.

Unless I've a broody the chicks are in a grow out pen. Yeah, the two boxes work the entire yard. One in layer run and one next to house or shed. Sure it can be placed anywhere, best along walls or in corner.

Well, as much as I do not like the thought of poison, I like the thought of rats less. So I guess I'll be ordering a box and some blocks of bait.

I plan on putting it outside of the run, so no worry about any of the chickens getting into it, even though it's very unlikely anyway.

I feel better. Thank you. :D

I bought some stuff called Tomcat Meal Bait. Haven't seen a rat or trace of Alice rats in awhile! Even Leaveing my feed out now and nothing! Leaveingtest feed out at night come back next morning and it's still there! Man that stuff is awesome

Question for rat experts. We have a growing rat problem outside near my chickens and ducks. It's hard to put the duck food away at night as the ducks graze day and night.

Last week we saw half a dozen rats coming and going from the duck feed. Afterwards they would run either to our tool shed or directly under the duck run. They were bold, they didn't care if we were around or not (this was dusk to early night).

We set traps on Friday night. All were 'sprung' on Sat. morning. One rat was injured and laying close by, blood all over the cage. I had to put that one out of its misery. No other rats were caught.

Since that night I haven't seen a single rat. I know we didn't get them all, unless we maimed more of them than I could see. All we got was the one.

Why would the rats 'disappear?' Did they 'learn' from the big trap night and go incognito?

I've been asking a family friend to come over to do some shooting and now can't because I'm not seeing them anymore!!!

I"m worried that they're just laying low,......and breeding.

Rats are very smart, and will avoid traps after any bad experience, as you've seen with yours. That's why only poison is really effective, sad to say. Be VERY careful with it so only your target critters get killed! Mary

If your plan is to kill every rat out there you will become frustrated very quickly. As Folly said rats are very smart. If they suspect something is a bit off they won't touch it. I've caught rats in traps, but by and large these were the younger ones.

The surest way to get rid of rats is to make sure there is no food source for them.

So I don't know if I should take this question to the duck forum, but ducks are different from chickens. They don't sleep the same way and they snack and drink all night just before they lay their eggs. Not sure how I could remove their food source, but I will ask the other duck owners if they can tolerate this.

I'm trying a different type of trap tonight.

We went from many years of NO rats to suddenly six rats so something has shifted but it isn't what we are doing. I'm perplexed.

I found a bunch of holes today so if i do resort to poison I know where the holes are. I'm just scared stiff about poison droppings (poop) getting into the yard with the fowl.

Back
Top Bottom