Rattle breathing, partway through Tylan 50 injection round. Some open mouth breathing (its so hot though), some sneezing, headshaking...

silentnanny

Chirping
Jul 28, 2021
I know this has been written on here a hundred million times already. I've read so much and am confused how to go forward...

We had been on vacation for a week, neighbor looking after our hens, came back to these two wheezing/rattle breathing. I'm not sure if my neighbour maybe didn't spend as much time with them out, or cleaning the bedding, or if its just hot and a coincidence from some other bug. We also did adopt a rooster two months ago (he went through a round of antibiotics and a month quarantine before introduced). Otherwise these girls had been healthy and are just over a year old. I have 4 other hens (and the roo) and they aren't showing any obvious symptoms.

I've been giving them Tylan 50 injections, 0.5 cc twice a day, subcutaneous, alternating breast. I was planning on continuing this for 5 days. They have received 6 out of the 10 doses currently, and are not showing any signs of improvement so far. I've kept them separate from the other hens, initially on our porch, brought them in the basement today as it is 90F. Of course they seem more comfortable and (relatively) 'breathing better' in the AC house, but still have the rattle. They are eating and drinking some and wandering/exploring when I let them outside (although more lethargic than normal).

Continue/complete the full 5 days (twice a day) injections? Increase the dose? VetRx? Any other ideas?

(they both are rattling, inside one is more open mouth breathing than the other. I had to shorten the video length)

I can't answer your other questions, but I did want to warn you. Tylan 50 should never be used as an injectable for birds. It can cause the flesh to necrotize and die off around the area you inject it.

They sell a soluble version for birds.

I can't answer your other questions, but I did want to warn you. Tylan 50 should never be used as an injectable for birds. It can cause the flesh to necrotize and die off around the area you inject it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply!
AHH, I don't know, I guess this is the problem with online boards instead of going to a vet... someone else had told me injecting was more effective than oral! :(

I have had better luck using Denegard, ordered from an online poultry supply like Twin Cities and the like, anywhere that caters to pigeons especially. It's a liquid you put in their water, and there's no egg withdrawal. I didn't have much luck with Tylan injections either. You can also order the soluble Tylan powder from such places if you'd like.

If you get the Denegard, make a simple syrup and add some to the water, it tastes really bitter and they don't like it.

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=991

I’ve been using tylan as an injectable for many years and never had a problem. It should be noted that intramuscular injections always have a risk of infection or necrosis no matter what the antibiotic. In the case of tylan, the injection can be given subcutaneously rather than IM which is usually easier for a novice to begin with. In my opinion when dealing with a bird that is very ill and might die, it is worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom