:( Ravens :(

Ravens have never been a problem with our chickens (in fact,I adore ravens!
wee.gif
They're so cute!
bun.gif
) but someone I know had chickens and she left them outside in a playpen and went in for lunch. When she came out again there was only 1 chick left
hit.gif
and there were hawks circling over head. dun,dun dun . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Wow. I never thought of a raven as a predator but check out this link: http://www.thelocal.se/19432/20090513/ A flock of ravens kills 14 calves in Sweden. Crazy!

I was under the impression that ravens are just scavengers but after seeing the above article and going to this site: http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/oct/papr/raven.html I have learned that they are also hunters of mice, lizards, small birds, snakes and insects.

I have no idea on how you would be able to get rid of them other than sitting outside with a gun. Since you know where they nest you could also pay them a house call!
wink.png

Yes Ravens are protected, and YES it is the ravens killing the chickens!!! I caught them in the act twice now!!! First time, they half plucked a large buff cochin hen, befire I got to her and chased them off. Then 2 weeks ago I went out into the pasture to get my horse to go for a ride and I startled the pair of ravens, they had plucked and ripped the breasts open of a buff cochin hen!! I was so upset and mad!! She was still fighting to get away! My hubby has made me a blind! I am going to get the darn things!!! They are smart! My neighbour is after them too, they are killing his lambs!!! Once again, they have been caught in the act! They are not scavaging what others have killed!!! My neighbour siad he was sitting in his dinning room having breakfast he looked out the window and ewu lambing, one lamb was out and as #2 was coming out the paid of ravens came down and started pecking at the lamb, the mama tried to chase the ravens away, but had lamb#2 half out
sad.png
The neighbour took off trying to chase the ravens. The first lamb lost both eyes and had to be put down and #2 died of unkown causes. The neigbouer guessed trama from the mama trying to chase the ravens while the baby was half out
sad.png

They now after years of having all their sheep lamb out in the field have to keep them in the barn and locked up for the first few days! They lost 5 or 6 lambs last year to the ravens!!!

Pellet gun/.22LR is the simple answer to raven issues. They are not generallyprotected and are quick studies...pick them off and the others get the hint.

Besides. it'll make you a great shot.

I had two smaller chickens get out and later found them dead in pieces. I thought it must have been a coyote since we have tons of them! Then one day I saw a big raven chasing one of the not so small chickens around the yard pulling out its feathers and as I neared I saw that they had already mascred 2 of my 2 month old RIR!!! I swear I was not away from them for more than 15 minutes. Its sad because that was the first time I let the smaller chicks out so they could explore and was only going to give them a few minutes!!! I hate those ravens!! we have a lot of them and they are not shaken by the horse or the goats! anyone know if one of those fake owls would work?

You know, it is really not a good idea for us to advocate breaking the law here. We aren't that hard to find if someone really wants to. And, obviously, BYC does not condone illegal acts. So if you are looking for encouragement to bait them and shoot them, you are asking a lot....

Sounds like it may be seasonal, when they have chicks of their own to feed...

Would it be possible to build a covered run or tractor(s) for that time of year or for the smaller birds? Use part of the free range area at least for them.

Doesn't sound like you have alot of choices if they are protected and are killing your chickens. Cover up.

Sorry for your losses.

Ravens are the largest members of the crow family, and its not for nothing that a group of crows are called a "murder" look it up.

I think its time to say "nevermore" to this raven scourge. blow em away.

BTW be glad you dont live in New Zealand, keas , carnivorous parrots, smart as a 3 year old child and ruthless.

Quote:
Once again -- YES, ravens are FEDERALLY protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Check the website I already posted if you have any doubts.

If you want to shoot ravens, get a depredation permit first. One of the requirements for getting a depredation permit is that you must FIRST show that you have ALREADY tried non-lethal methods of control.

Back
Top Bottom