1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Raw area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nita4679, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Nita4679

Nita4679 In the Brooder

Jul 4, 2017
    We just started keeping chickens this spring. Been getting eggs for a little while now.
    #1. Just noticed one has "poopy butt". Where did I read what to do for that?
    #2. But the main thing I want to ask about is a small to larger area just where the tail feathers start on about 4-5 of them that look like someone just plucked several feathers out. Looks like it's red and probably hurts. I first thought they were being pecked on by the others, but I am thinking it might be an illness/disease. Can anyone help me on this?
    Nita 4679 (a total newby)
    I hope I'm in the correct section. Tell me if I'm not.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :frow
    Welcome to BYC!
    We are glad you decided to join our flock.
    This video should help you learn your way around this site better.

Could you possible post a few pics of these raw areas?
    You can soak your chicken in a bucket of warm water and gentle rub the poop off.
    Have you ever treated them for worms?
    And have your checked them at night for mites and or lice?

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Pics would be most helpful as Kiki has said and posting in the emergency disease injury section would be very beneficial ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/
    It could be over preening from a lice burden or a mite infestation in your coop. It could also be a feather pecking issue that you just maybe have not seen. Feather peckers can often be sneaky and only do it when they are not being watched.

Good luck and I'm sure members in the EDI section will be able to help you :frow

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: