Raw Feeding Thread

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I searched but didn't see a raw feeding thread so I decided to start one. Feels weird starting one instead of replying to one but hopefully everyone has a wonderful time sharing and learning here :D

Only rule here; Don't be rude to anyone here about feeding raw to their pets. We're all here to share and learn more about raw feeding so we don't need negativity here.
If you leave any sort of negative response, a moderator will be called to this thread.

We currently don't feed our dogs or cats completely raw food but they do get a few scraps here and there. I've been wanting to switch them over to raw completely so that they can be healthier but we can't do that until we move. I can tell that they love the scraps though. I plan on buying some slow growing meat birds next spring to butcher for them.

Feel free to share raw food recipes, photos, advice, and tips.

I searched but didn't see a raw feeding thread so I decided to start one. Feels weird starting one instead of replying to one but hopefully everyone has a wonderful time sharing and learning here :D

Only rule here; Don't be rude to anyone here about feeding raw to their pets. We're all here to share and learn more about raw feeding so we don't need negativity here.
If you leave any sort of negative response, a moderator will be called to this thread.

We currently don't feed our dogs or cats completely raw food but they do get a few scraps here and there. I've been wanting to switch them over to raw completely so that they can be healthier but we can't do that until we move. I can tell that they love the scraps though. I plan on buying some slow growing meat birds next spring to butcher for them.

Feel free to share raw food recipes, photos, advice, and tips.

I've been feeding raw off and on for many years. I recently learned of a co-op company that make runs throughout the northeast. So I joined. I can purchase complete 80/10/10 mixes with a nice variety of meat sources.
I keep all my veggie peelings and cutoffs and steam them and add some to the dogs meals. I also make golden paste and feed that. Each meal is supplemented with salmon oil, probiotics and enzymes.
I do mix in various grain-free canned food with the cat's diet but she is raw based. She is now 17.5 years old and survived breast cancer that she had at 14.
I hope to never find myself in a situation where I could not keep my dogs on a raw diet.
I guess the best piece of advice I can give is to stay with the dogs while they eat if they are chow hounds. I have a shark trapped in the body of a miniature pinscher. She tries to wolf her food down and I had to pull part of a chicken foot out of her throat one day as she started to choke on it. I now cut the feet up into smaller "bite sized" pieces.

Can you state which veggie peelings/cutoffs you give? Just so anyone new to raw feeding knows a few safe ones.
Carrots, cucumbers, apple, butternut squash, sweet potato & Brussels sprout "butts" are the most frequently fed. I just put them in a bowl with a loose cover and a bit of water and microwave them for three minutes to steam.

I've been feeding raw off and on for many years. I recently learned of a co-op company that make runs throughout the northeast. So I joined. I can purchase complete 80/10/10 mixes with a nice variety of meat sources.
I keep all my veggie peelings and cutoffs and steam them and add some to the dogs meals. I also make golden paste and feed that. Each meal is supplemented with salmon oil, probiotics and enzymes.
I do mix in various grain-free canned food with the cat's diet but she is raw based. She is now 17.5 years old and survived breast cancer that she had at 14.
I hope to never find myself in a situation where I could not keep my dogs on a raw diet.
I guess the best piece of advice I can give is to stay with the dogs while they eat if they are chow hounds. I have a shark trapped in the body of a miniature pinscher. She tries to wolf her food down and I had to pull part of a chicken foot out of her throat one day as she started to choke on it. I now cut the feet up into smaller "bite sized" pieces.
Is it true that dogs can choke and die if they eat chicken bones? My hubby often lets our dogs eats chicken wings...we call it chicken-boner-soup..it has rice and chicken thighs...so, while not raw. For this meal, I was just curious if the bones will kill them. I say they can. Anyways, we often give our dogs raw chicken ang hamburgers, but only my one will eat veggies. Sorry for interrupting.

Carrots, cucumbers, apple, butternut squash, sweet potato & Brussels sprout "butts" are the most frequently fed. I just put them in a bowl with a loose cover and a bit of water and microwave them for three minutes to steam.
We do often cook apples on a stick over a fire...the dogs love that...I guess it brings out the sweetness

Is it true that dogs can choke and die if they eat chicken bones? My hubby often lets our dogs eats chicken wings...we call it chicken-boner-soup..it has rice and chicken thighs...so, while not raw. For this meal, I was just curious if the bones will kill them. I say they can. Anyways, we often give our dogs raw chicken ang hamburgers, but only my one will eat veggies. Sorry for interrupting.
Raw bones are safe for dogs to eat. Cooked ones are dangerous and will cause harm to the dog. Just watch when giving them the raw bones so they don't try to eat it in one bite.

I've fed raw chicken with bones and all to my dogs. They really like it. Turkey necks, gizzards, and chicken livers are their favorite things. I'm not 100% raw with my dogs, but I do give them raw. They even get raw eggs on top of their food some days.

I feed raw veggies and fruits as well. Berries, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cut apples, wax beans, and green beans.

I feed cooked veggies as well sometimes. It all depends what we are eating for dinner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom