Raw goats milk

abbymckinn

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Hello everyone! We have two goats in milk right now, one nigi dwarf, and one nubian. We have sooooo much milk! I have no idea what to do with it all! Combined we are probably getting almost a gallon a day, so does anyone have any ideas on what to do with extra raw goats milk? And if anyone has a recipie for fresh chevre, it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The thing about selling it is that in texas is you have to have a grade A dairy farm, and they have to get it at your house. But we might sell it on Craigslist, as "pet quality" and if they want to drink it they can...

Making soap does not take much milk, unless you are making a massive batch. Also, for someone who has never made soap before, I would recommend against using goats milk for the first few batches. There is so much than can go wrong with goats milk if you don't know what you are doing, and that ruins a batch of soap. Learn with plain old water to know how soap behaves during each step of the process.

I'd recommend trying your hard at making cheese. It burns through milk quite quickly! A simple recipe is making a cheese using an acid, usually vinegar. If you want to be snazzy, red wine vinegar would imparts an excellent flavor. As you get more comfortable, there are a lot of easy other cheese recipes out there!

Last edited:
Ok thank! Do you have a recipe for goat cheese? We have tried several times, the first time it wasn't at the right temp, and was disgusting! Second time the consistency was right, but the flavor wasn't right. It didn't have the cream goaty flavor?!

Get a pig, lol. It will go through all the extra milk you have. :)
Soapmaking is great, but like Stacykins said... doesn't use much. I make soap as a business, and I can't even go through that much milk.
Go to some place like cheesemaking.com and you can learn all you ever need to know as a beginner to make some good cheese.
Get some citric acid and rennet and you cna make mozzarella cheese in about 45 minutes using the Ricki Carroll microwave method. (and it's soooo much better than from the store)
Goat milk freezes really well, so freeze some for the dry months.
Make yogurt
Goat milk makes AMAZING home made ice cream.
Find a bread recipe that uses milk.
Make potato soup
Try making kefir... I haven't tried it, but alot of folks swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom