Raw turnips for chickens???

beebiz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 2, 2007
W. Tennessee
I cleaned out my freezer this morning and I had some turnips left over from last year. I always wash them, then put them right in the freezer.... don't peal them, cut them up, cook them or anything. They always keep good and taste like they just came out of the garden. Anyway, for some reason, these didn't keep so well. I started to throw them away, but thought that the chickens might enjoy them along with the corn and other things that I'm giving them from the freezer.

If I thaw them out first, will it hurt to give the turnips to the chickens?? I've given a lot of different things from the freezer and garden to chickens before, but I've never given them any turnips.

Don't know if this matters or not, but these are Buff Orpingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are about 17 or 18 weeks old.

Any help or suggestions you might can lend will be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Thanks Deb!! Your assumption that they are not laying yet was correct. I figure (based on answers that I got about when they should start laying) that it will be a few more weeks yet. I never thought about it "flavoring" the eggs, but I suppose it could. After all, the eggs are a culmination of all things eaten and drank, right??

Thanks for the answer!!

Yes, they will flavor....not sure if the chickens will even like them. Wont hurt to try tho. Heck, free treats are free treats! They might just like em. Have you tried yet? I know...mine like beets!! LOL

I don't know about turnips, but mine will eat the heck out of radishes. they even escaped into the garden and dug up my radishes and ate half of my crop.... Mine aren't laying yet. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom