1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raw turnips for chickens???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by beebiz, Jul 10, 2007.

1. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    I cleaned out my freezer this morning and I had some turnips left over from last year. I always wash them, then put them right in the freezer.... don't peal them, cut them up, cook them or anything. They always keep good and taste like they just came out of the garden. Anyway, for some reason, these didn't keep so well. I started to throw them away, but thought that the chickens might enjoy them along with the corn and other things that I'm giving them from the freezer.

If I thaw them out first, will it hurt to give the turnips to the chickens?? I've given a lot of different things from the freezer and garden to chickens before, but I've never given them any turnips.

Don't know if this matters or not, but these are Buff Orpingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are about 17 or 18 weeks old.

Any help or suggestions you might can lend will be greatly appreciated.

Robert

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

At 17 to 18 weeks, they are probably not laying yet....and I would think...it would be ok. If they were, or are laying, it might "flavor" the eggs.

3. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    Thanks Deb!! Your assumption that they are not laying yet was correct. I figure (based on answers that I got about when they should start laying) that it will be a few more weeks yet. I never thought about it "flavoring" the eggs, but I suppose it could. After all, the eggs are a culmination of all things eaten and drank, right??

Thanks for the answer!!

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yes, they will flavor....not sure if the chickens will even like them. Wont hurt to try tho. Heck, free treats are free treats! They might just like em. Have you tried yet? I know...mine like beets!! LOL

5. firetrie

firetrie Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Niles, MI
    I don't know about turnips, but mine will eat the heck out of radishes. they even escaped into the garden and dug up my radishes and ate half of my crop.... Mine aren't laying yet. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by