RC Rhode Island Whites- how do they look to you?!?!

Scraps

Songster
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
End of a dirt road...
I have some RIW's that hatched in March of this year. I can't seem to find any
info on-line about them, not even a pic to compare them to. I love them not matter what
but I'd like to know if their quality is good enough to sell hatching eggs or to even show them
big_smile.png
Thanks!!!

RIWs025.jpg

RIWs026.jpg

RIWs027.jpg

RIWs028.jpg

RIWs032.jpg

RIWs033.jpg

RIWs031.jpg

I think yours are beautiful! I just got my first RIW chick a week ago and am so excited to have her.

I think they look great, they are very rare so there's not much else to compare their quality, thought I think Feathersite.com has a few pics of them. I have 8 single comb hatchery RIW pullets, but the RC RIWs, I believe are the "real" ones that actually have a standard. I think you should sell hatching eggs to increase the numbers of the breed and so others could work on type. Do you have a price in mind yet for the eggs? I am interested in preserveing rare breeds and I may be interested in some eggs depending on the price.

Where did you get them? Hatchery, Breeder?
Maybe NYREDS will kick in here and give you some help.
What you could all so do is go to crohio . com then go to CROHIO Breed Club Message Board Forums then click Rhode Island Red Club of America and post the pics. there and see what they say there. There are alot of RIR breeders there and they should have a back ground with the RIW.. Danny Feathers and Robert (Bob) Blosl are over there.

Chris

Actually they look better than I would have expected. Type isn't bad, especially the male. Feather quality looks very good. Their worst obvious defect is their combs so I'd advise you to cull heavily for better combs. The pullet in the chair appears to have an inverted spike. If so I'd suggest you not use her for breeding as this is a tough one to breed out.
As to whether they'd be worth selling eggs from I can't make that decision for you. I think they are good enough to serve as a starting point in a breeding program but if it was me I wouldn't be thinking about selling them yet.
Someone mentioned having single combed RI Whites-you don't they are a rose combed breed only. If some hatchery is selling SC RI Whites they're perpretating a fraud.

Quote:
Sorry but you're absolutely wrong. Rhode Island Whites are rose combed only. If you have an APA Standard look it up. I'm a judge & I don't answer fact based questions like this unless I'm sure. If you know any other APA judges ask them. Go to the CROHIO site mentioned above. Go to the RI Red Club message board & post the question there. There are a couple of other judges that pot there maybe they can convince you.
Some RI White matings may produce some single combed chicks because someone crossed in some Rocks. Other than that the fact remains that RI Whites are standardized in rose comb only.
Here are a few links that will tell you they are Rose Combed only. If your information re their coming in both single & rose combed came from Feathersite be advised that's not the only thing Barry got wrong.

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/rhodewhite.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_White

http://www.purelypoultry.com/rhode-island-white-chickens-p-568.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/rhode_island_white/10529

It came from a judge not feathersite that both were acceptable combs for them.We were surprised to see a sc riw at a show and questioned it.I didn't pay much attention to the judge or the bird other than to ask about the comb but it did place. I was there looking for a high quality Buff Rock Rooster which I have come to the conclusion isn't out there...or at least for sale.
hmm.png

We don't breed our rc RIW's for show purposes but for eggs and meat so I may breed that higher production hen over a better combed hen that doesn't lay as often.We have had several people want to buy some but unfortunately the roosters taste just like chicken and we don't breed them other than to replace them they live in our layer only pasture.
To the OP people could very well want to buy some on the egg laying ability that they have while you work on correcting for show as long as you market them that way.
I'll leave my daughters show birds to her..and if you know of that Buff Rock Rooster send him my way...she's looking.

Thanks for all the great info!! I really had no idea that they were that rare. I bought
eggs off of Ebay last Feb. I only paid maybe $20 total for shipping and all. The people
that were selling them had them listed for a month or so and never had more than one or 2 bids on them at any time. I guess they just finally gave up on trying to sell them at all!

I will head straight over to CROHIO and do some reading. I'm really interested in trying
to get something started with them. They are great birds, really mellow and love to be
picked up and carried around.

As for selling eggs, they are lousy layers! They just started laying a few weeks ago. 4
hens and I'm lucky to get 1 egg out of them a day
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom