RC Rhode Island Whites- how do they look to you?!?!

Your' RC RI Ws look good. I just goy a start of them and am looking for other lines of them. Mine are Urch, do you know any history of the line of yours?
If anyone knows of others let me know please.
Thanks. felixHoy

I have RC RI Whites also and really like them. Also have 2 families of SC RI W and NYREDS is right-on, they are not recognised by APA. Some confusion exists because APA Standard included the SC RI W in 1010 BUT that was an error on the part of APA.
I hope to promote the beautiful RC RI W and am presently trying to find both owners of them and breeders. Only ones I have been able to find so far is Urch/Turnland in Mn.
The RC I have are from Urch and an unknown Texas breeder that are yard ran and I intend to get more from Urch but want another family for diversity and complimentry breeding options.
SO--- ANY ideas and or help in this is surely welcome.
Thanks to all. felixHoy

The APA wasn't formed until 1873, there was no Standard in 1010. Rhode Island Whites weren't admitted 'till 1922 so you can't be referring to the 1910 Standard & the 2010 Standard doesn't include SC Rhode Island Whites so I'm not sure when it was that the APA committed this error. Please clarify.

Last edited:
That's strange, my 2010 edition of the APA Standard doesn't list SC Rhode Island Whites. In fact the 2010 breed description in my copy is exactly the same as it has been in previous editions at least back to 1947-that's as far back as I bothered to go. There was no 2010 error.
The breed shape for R I Reds & R I Whites is the same even though they are seperate breeds. In the shape description, which is shown only once to cover both breeds, both single combs & rose combs are included since both apply to the Reds. However, if you go to page 52 you'll see where the R I Whites are seperated for colour description & you'll note that Rose Combs are stipulated for the Whites.
I admit that the descriptions for these two breeds probably could be made clearer, but the only times I've ever seen confusion about R I White combs has been here on BYC where it continues to crop up from time to time.

That's strange, my 2010 edition of the APA Standard doesn't list SC Rhode Island Whites. In fact the 2010 breed description in my copy is exactly the same as it has been in previous editions at least back to 1947-that's as far back as I bothered to go. There was no 2010 error.
The breed shape for R I Reds & R I Whites is the same even though they are seperate breeds. In the shape description, which is shown only once to cover both breeds, both single combs & rose combs are included since both apply to the Reds. However, if you go to page 52 you'll see where the R I Whites are seperated for colour description & you'll note that Rose Combs are stipulated for the Whites.
I admit that the descriptions for these two breeds probably could be made clearer, but the only times I've ever seen confusion about R I White combs has been here on BYC where it continues to crop up from time to time.
Yes this is because the hatcheries push this kind of malarky for business(making money) they have to come up with some sort of way to make a sale, so they offer a white plummed bird of unkown origin and call it a Single comb Rhode Island White simply because they have no way of getting their hands on the real Rose combed type as they are only kept by breeders and these are in very limited numbers(some folk even say the real true bred RIW may even be considered extinct like the Lamona).

Jeff

Ps NYReds I know you know all this I'm just using your phrase in your post to stress the point.
smile.png

Last edited:

Yes this is because the hatcheries push this kind of malarky for business(making money) they have to come up with some sort of way to make a sale, so they offer a white plummed bird of unkown origin and call it a Single comb Rhode Island White simply because they have no way of getting their hands on the real Rose combed type as they are only kept by breeders and these are in very limited numbers(some folk even say the real true bred RIW may even be considered extinct like the Lamona).

Jeff

Ps NYReds I know you know all this I'm just using your phrase in your post to stress the point.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

OK, I do not have a 2010 APA Standard. I read this editors note in the August 2012 issue of Exibition Magazine. It followed an article on page 3.
If it is not in the APA Standard I stand corrected but I do know for sure their is no SC RI W recognised by the APA standard. I think I also know the RC RI White is in serious trouble and in real need of attention and worthy of the work it will take to get back some quality and respect.
Thanks. felix

Back
Top Bottom