re/ are chickens going to be the next currency? would you trade your

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Are there any of us that think that chickens are good for currency/trade/barter if the economy turns sour?

Do any of you have "extras" to sell trade or plan to if needed.
hu.gif

Does this have anyting to do with all of the hatcheries being out of stock this year??? I am just curious.
jumpy.gif

(By the way.... this is my back up plan if needed, chickens are egg, meat, and $$$ money in my humble opinion!)
wee.gif

I definitely plan on using mine once I get my flock built up. We have neighbors that have goats, cows, etc. Why not trade eggs for fresh milk??
thumbsup.gif
That's another reason why I wanted a lot of brown egg layers. People prefer them.
idunno.gif
I'm also working on some EE, although I'm not sure how people around here will like the blue/green eggs. But my kids are really excited about them!

Shelly

SRED 98....my neighbors kids LOVE the blue eggs. They request that there be one or two in every dozen.

Of course, most of the kids have been highly disappointed that the 'inside' isnt blue too...lol.

Bring on the EE's! You will be happily surprised!

this is why I had the post about tradeing chickens just as they did in the days gone buy.I remember when they would trade just about anything for butter, milk , you name it. Then they would trade chickens for chickens so they would have different kinds.Yes maybe the hatcheries may be out of alot of thing this season. Instead of buy from them why not trade for the kind that you want, and grow your own.this is the same as buying them but you use only chickens instead of money. These times are hard and if you can do anything to help save money why not do it. You could still set up trading days as we have set up now.If you don't have anything to trade and want to buy then that is ok to.I think the older days was much better that what we are doing now.But of course that is just me. What do the rest of you think?

Bill

Oh, that has definitely crossed our minds. We have 10 hens right now, so we will have plenty of eggs for our family and extras for sale or barter. We have 3 roos too, so we could start "growing" our own meat if it comes to that.

I'm also getting 2 goats next week...we 're starting small with 2 boer wethers, but if we need to provide our own dairy products, we could easily add does...there are plenty of goats around here. We also have friends with pigs, cows and huge vegetable garden.

I don't stockpile for doomsday, but it's nice to know if anything happens, at least we won't starve!

I traded 6 hatching Muscovy eggs and a loaf of home-baked millet bread for a pair of gorgeous walrus tusk earrings with a BYC member. I was thrilled with the transaction.

i swap and barter with my extra chicks/birds. With experiance, you learn to get the fell for bartering and how to get a good deal, and not feel "taken" or get something of lesser value them what you are offering. I have had only a few bad trades/barters and in all but one case, the person made good on it after i talked it thru with them.

Us too..... we do not know what the future is for the economy. But we can eat/ swap our chickens/eggs and goats for milk/calves for meat. We are planning just in case...
pop.gif
I also have a garden and lots of seeds.
Quote:

A guy selling goats knew I wanted goats and offered to trade me one of his goats for a few of my New Zealand White rabbits. I'm not set up for goats, yet, so I had to decline, but I hope when I AM ready that someone will want to trade.

I traded AussieSharon a rabbit for hatching eggs once.

Back
Top Bottom