Re homing our peacock.

You will need to rehome him at least 6 miles away because otherwise he will return to you as he has imprinted on you. New owners should lock him up for a while anyway but most people don’t understand this.
It is only a problem in mating season when they have their tail feathers. He will become docile again when his hormones go and they go when the feathers go.
I had one just like yours 20 years ago who imprinted in his mind that I was either a peahen needing to be mounted. Or a competitor to be attacked. It was difficult for a couple of months every year
If you could build him an enclosure …….! I have 3 males and only 5 females so this time of year I have to separate the boys and because I now carry a stick, they no longer treat me like a beautiful peahen

I expect that you have sorted it by now tho.

Well this is why I am writing all the information about him rather than just trying to sell him on! I too would never pass on an aggressive bird as it is unfair to all parties. However I could never kill an animal, let alone one I had taken under my care. Though I do appreciate your honest opinion on this matter.
Yes, quite the dilemma ... I do not know what I would do in your situation. I do like the information given of letting the peacock know who is dominant, and I guess we can all learn from that : ) Peafowl are the "most beautiful Birds in the World" and I feel so honoured to own two : )

Attachments

• Rajah.jpg
    Rajah.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone! New poster here,

I was hoping for some advice, I have a beautiful peacock called Julian who I rescued early this year from a farm where he was having to be locked away due to aggressive behavior. We were told that he had only become aggressive because his peahen had laid eggs and he was territorial of their nest, and believed that he would calm down when taken away the peahen. At first he seemed quite a shy, sweet bird, however as soon as mating season came along his behavior changed.
He started herding me every time I went outside, then jumping onto my back every time I knelt down to do some gardening etc. Then it progressed into chasing me, and attacking my legs when I turned my back. Then he jumped onto my Mother in Law's back and drew blood, and then he attacked my husband when he was getting in the car.
He has always had plenty of good food and water, he roosts in our wood shed and has acres and acres to roam freely, as well as the company of our two chickens, I thought he would be happy here, but I am now at a loss what to do.

As I am pregnant and we run a holiday let next door where he comes into contact with guests we have had to come to the decision that we can no longer keep him. However I am at a loss what to do now, we have had to shut him away for the moment and I can't bear the thought of him unable to roam and getting stressed, but his attacks have just become too much and I can't risk being knocked over.

Does anyone have any advice? I feel like time is short due to having to keep him locked up, which just isn't sustainable for his well being.
Is there anywhere, a charity or a larger company, that would be able to take him?
We live in Dumfries and Galloway in Scotland.
Any advice would be so appreciated!
Just a thought, why not try to keep the peacock locked up for a while, talking to him all the while (like this is what I want of you ... ). They are incredibly intuitive and contrary to what people believe that birds have small heads therefore small brains; they go by intuition (in my opinion). Buy yourself a large bird catcher (pole with netting on the end or pool scoop), catch him and hold him, talking to him, calming him. I would be trying that for a while, and keeping him confined. When re-homing peafowl, they are supposed to be kept closed in for 6 - 12 months. I really do think that they are pretty smart and you will most likely win in the end. I would not give up on him xx PS you obviously care about him and that is why he is with you ... you will make an awesome Mum, all the best!

If you want to keep him he can be perfectly happy in a pen. I do not free range any of mine and even if i leave the door to the pen open they don't usually come out and if they do they go back in as soon as they realize i'm bringing food.

Back
Top Bottom