Re-homing sucks!

pnwchicklvr

Chirping
Apr 22, 2018
Salem, OR
I am giving my feather footed pullet away today. I’ve tried to work with the constant feather pulling and pecking from the rest of the flock, but realize it isn’t fair to her. Weekly foot soaks, cleaning and camouflaging is no longer working. I found a home with a small flock of 3 that are a little younger and all feather footed. I feel I did so much homework before I got my chickens, but who knew a few feathers on the feet could make a chicken an outcast. One tough lesson learned.

That's such a shame. Chickens can be weird little creatures. I'm curious if some of the more experienced people on here will have suggestions should you want to integrate a different breed again. Something like always having two or more of the same breed.:confused:

I posted on here when it happened the first time and it was suggested I get others like her or re-home her. I’m really happy with the size of my flock and am not ready for more just yet. I know it’s for the best, but it’s still sad. Who knew one could get so attached to chickens.

Ah, well it sounds like you gave it your best shot. I think we tend to get even more attached when we have to nurse them along for whatever reason. We certainly find out soon enough just how attached we can get.:celebrate

I went through it not long ago. I had to give away a bantam polish roo because the others kept plucking his 80's rock star hairdo. It was hard, but the right thing for him. He's now happy in his new home and just became a father

Back
Top Bottom