Re-integrating chicken after healing

jhmoore

Songster
11 Years
Sep 6, 2008
Holly, Michigan
About 3.5 weeks ago, I wrote on here about my hen that had her hip dislocated (I think) from my rooster mating with her. She has been slowly healing by herself, with "chicken physical therapy" and lots of healthy food from me. I've also had her out in the yard, adjacent to the chicken run during the day, only putting her in her crate at night.

Her legs seem to be almost back to normal. She can walk and run, just not as limber as before. But, her appetite and energy are superb. I think she would be ready to go back out with the flock, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. She doesn't have the best grab reflex in her toes, so i don't know if just placing her on the roost at night will be in her best interest. I did try to place her in the yard during the day, and a few of the hens gave her a problem, and she's not quick enough to flee yet. I just don't want to rush it and have her get re-injured. I should mention, I no longer have the rooster.

Also, as a side note... she's been recovering in a medium sized dog crate (36'). I had a second chicken (one of my polish) hit by a car yesterday, who needed to be isolated as well. So, I put my Barred Rock hen in a larger dog crate, figuring she's bigger and would appreciate the extra room. When I put her in it tonight, she seems unsettled and ticked off. Should I move her back to the smaller, familiar one? Chickens are so funny... and I thought they'd be easy keepers!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, my first thought was your rooster would probably do it again,but as you have dealt with that,I think the best thing would be if you could have her where the other hens can see her but can't get to her, maybe cage of a corner of your coop for her,this needs to be for about a week .Then let her out with the others,they will probably pick on her but it should not be to bad .If that dosent work try putting her with the boss hen for a few days away from the others so they can chum up then put them back in the coop together the other hens should be distracted by the boss hen. I hope this makes sense
frow.gif

Allowing her to be near the flock without being in the middle of it is a good idea. I have a couple mobile "outdoor hoppy pens" (they work for bunnies as well) for just such occasions. I always scatter some scratch in the pen and just on the other side so all the hens eat together, as if there were no dividers. I've made the pens about 4'X6' out of scrap wood and chicken wire. 1"X2" wood (about 3' tall) keeps it light enough to move around. I throw a piece of plywood on top to keep everyone on the right side (and for shade). Then she can scratch and walk a bit for strengthening her muscles. Bone and soft tissue injuries can take up to 6 weeks to completely heal for most creatures. I probably wouldn't let the rooster near her for that long. Is he a really big boy? I've taken to keeping smaller roosters for just such a reason. Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice. I no longer have the rooster- he started getting too rough, with chickens and humans alike. Barbie, my BR hen, actually made herself at home in my little polish hens' coop. I got home late from work last night, worried about her still being out, and she was up roosting next to my polish hen! I'd have loved to see how she got there, because the ladder is pretty steep. But, she did the same thing tonight. So, I'll let her live with them- all seem happy!

Back
Top Bottom