Re-intro

hamlette2002

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Northwest Arizona
My first intro was pretty brief, and I'm sad to report that I lost all of those first chicks to my dog, who hasn't been raised around chickens and had no idea that those weren't boxed up in that handy coop just for him. So, I thought I would try again.

I am raising chickens for the first time. My chicks were hatched June 29th at Cackle Hatchery. I have 6, and they all appear to be hens, which is perfect, since I live in city limits that won't allow me to have a rooster. I have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Reds that may be Production Reds or some other variety of Rhode Island Red, one Buff Orpington, and one Old English Game Bantam, who may be of mixed heritage - she looks mostly like a Silver Duckwing, but doesn't have the amber-colored breast. My hobbies include camping, hiking, horseback riding, and of course, exploring this new adventure of chicken ranching.
I've been married since June 7, 1995, to the father of both of my kids. I have a daughter who is grown and gone, and a son who is finishing up high school. We have one horse, Napa - she's an Arab/Mustang cross, and one dog, Rex - he's an American Cattle Dog mix. As for my job, I'm an assistant Point of Care Coordinator, which basically means my job is making sure the doctors' offices in the enterprise I work for stay up to date on certification, training, and documentation for any tests that are performed on site, instead of being sent to a full laboratory. This is financing The Dream - and The Dream is to build a ranch somewhere that I want to be for the rest of my life, training American Mustangs to help make them more adoptable, raising apple trees for the sheer love of watching stuff grow, and making the Best Place Ever for any grandchildren that show up.

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, hamlette2002, and :welcome. Happy you are giving chickens another go. Sometimes bad stuff happens and I'm glad you are back in the game. Best of luck with your new six pack from Cackle. And I hope one day The Dream becomes a reality. Sounds wonderful. :)

Hi and welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear of your initial loss, but its good that you have begun again with more chickens. Good luck with your working towards your dream ranch. Once it does come true, you will never have to worry about chicken maths again!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Hello there
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
!! Have much success with your flock!

Thank you for the welcome!

I agree, I have been so grateful for all of the information I've found here. I don't panic about anything anymore without coming here and looking up whatever it is that I'm worried about! Everyone has been kind and patient, so to the folks who run this site, I thank you very much for creating such a great culture!

Back
Top Bottom