Re-introducing cockerel--- big question, long post.

So I can put little dude in the old bachelor coop with big George for a few days, or put George in chicken jail in the full flock coop, or just put George in the full flock coop and hope for the best.

I'll do some thinking.

I'd just move the older cockerel into the flock with everyone. The 10 week old is young enough that the older male shouldn't see him as a threat at all. I just added a seven month old cockerel back into a breeding pen with his father and they didn't even bat an eye at each other. Granted they are English Orpingtons, so they are a little more laid back than most breeds, but still.

Thanks for the advice.

Why the 😲 reaction for that last post @Chickenman MAN?

I don't know... his mating practices were the only reason he didn't get put in there 3 weeks ago in the first place, so I'll have to just watch him or keep him separated somehow because I doubt he has calmed down any being without a hen for 3 weeks. He mates them without consent, has tried to breed with 12 week old pullets half his size...just what I assume is young hormonal cockerel behavior.

Thanks for the advice.

Why the 😲 reaction for that last post @Chickenman MAN?

I don't know... his mating practices were the only reason he didn't get put in there 3 weeks ago in the first place, so I'll have to just watch him or keep him separated somehow because I doubt he has calmed down any being without a hen for 3 weeks. He mates them without consent, has tried to breed with 12 week old pullets half his size...just what I assume is young hormonal cockerel behavior.
Oops! Meant to be a thumbs up :)

It's fairly normal for young cockerels to behave that way. Give him a few weeks or outfit the girls with saddles to protect them from over-mating. He should settle down in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom