RE : new to ducks !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lillie2, Aug 5, 2011.

1. lillie2

lillie2 Out Of The Brooder

Hi
    can anyone help me - whilst I have kept ducks for a few years and am getting to know about their habits etc - I have recently been brought some call ducks and am slowley at surely finding my way with them - only thing I having trouble with is deciding if they are male or female !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The eldest duck is approx 17wks , has found her/his quack - but not having kept them before I am struggling to decide a difference. The younger three are about 12 / 13 wks old (I'm guessing) they are still 'cheaping' dont know if this is the correct word for it lol ! Have taken a few photo's and would appreciate if you could give me an opinion on whether u think they are blue or pink !!!!! Oh yes and the elder one does not have the curly 'sex feather' - but again not sure how old they would be before that came
    Many thanks for your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] This is Jemima (or Jeremy lol)
    [​IMG] Here we have Ed, Amie and Daffy
    [​IMG] and a clearer pic of Jemima

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    beaks look too long to be calls and the babies in the second pic have HUGE feet which screams muscovy to me. I could be way off but that is JMO

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I was thinking the same thing about the babies, the adult if it is a call isn't a "good" one. You can tell the sex easiest by listening to them. The boys whisper, the girls QWACK! and they do it very very loudly. We use to have calls and finally sold them for easier breeds, and less noisy ones, because for whatever reason the place they chose to qwack at was under the bedroom window from 6-8am (we work 2nd/3rd shift) so though I miss the cuties, I am happy with my quieter Muscovy's and Anacona's

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    But if those three "babies" are 12/13 weeks old they would be completely feathered in with muscovies.

5. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I dont think those babies are as old as the OP thinks. My ducklings are 5 weeks old and have more feathers than fluff. Could be the pic but those babies look like mostly if not all fluff

6. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Hmm, I would say they could well be calls, but not exhibition quality. If you had a close up of the face it would help me see if they look Muscovy-like. Personally I think all ducks' have huge feet at that age... [​IMG] I agree the ones in the photo only look around 3 or 4 weeks old, max maybe 5 weeks. That would explain why they're still cheeping too!

7. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, with females you'll hear a very distinct QUACK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by