Reaction to my approach

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaisyQ, Aug 23, 2013.

1. PaisyQ

PaisyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    I have 3 24 week old EE's. None of them have started laying yet. They have always been a little skittish around me, but we've been getting friendlier over the last couple of weeks. In the past they would all scatter if I approached them. Now they will come to me, and if I sitting they will usually let me touch them. If I am standing and I try to reach for them, they will still run away. Except for one. Over the last couple of days, instead of running, sometimes she will squat down, and partially spread her wings. She does not do this all the time. Am wondering if this is a defensive behavior? Or some sign that (maybe) egg laying will start soon (hopefully?) Can anyone give me some insight?

Thanks!

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Its her taking up the mating pose for a rooster. So a sign she has finally come of age and some time in the next few weeks you can expect eggs.

3. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    I recently acquired a 25 week old EE who did the exact same thing to me for about a week before I finally got an egg from her--about a week ago. She hasn't "squatted" since. I think your EE is telling you she's getting ready to lay!

4. PaisyQ

PaisyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    Yes? Oh, wonderful! That is what I was hoping. Thank-you both for replying!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She is bowing to you (squatting) in the submissive pose she would do for a rooster to mate her.

When my hens do that I just pet them on the back and say, "Good Gurdy!"

Then they fluff their feathers and go on. They will still do this even with a cock bird around since you are the top bird.

The others are quite right- it usually starts up a week or two before laying commences.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. cascaderox

cascaderox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    I would embrace this situation it means they accept that u r in charge and also my chickens were a skittish for a few weeks by now they walk into the house and jump on my shoulder while I'm doing something.

But as the others said expect ur eggs soon and a good way to check ur laying date is to look up the gestational period of a chicken because if she is ready to mate then she would squat a few days\weeks before she starts to lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by