Read and react, I know you will hate this article on free range vs

I didn't even READ the whole article cause it would just, well ANNOY me... (I don't need more of that)

For myself, personally - I'd MUCH rather be stressed ona walkabout or Safari in africa, than stressed in a prison cell..... (with Big Bertha as a cell mate - :eek: ) But I'm not a chicken, and that was not a scientific study... (ie: Nobody paid me for that little bit of info)

THE ONLY TIME MY KIDS GET STRESSED IS IF I DO NOT LET THEM OUT IN THE YARD AS QUICKLEY AS THEY THINK I SHOULD, OR IF I DO NOT GET THE PACKAGE OF MEALWORMS OPENED FAST ENOUGH.

DEEDEE
wee.gif
MY STRESSED OUT CHICKEN

This article is absolutly rediculous..

It is rediculous to think that any living thing would choose being packed into a cage,where you dont even have enough room to stretch you wings in a room where there are thousands and thousands of chickens...Overpopulation causes disease.

Hens feeding on Live vegetation is way more nutritious than the lowest quality of commercial feed that factory farms feed.

They didnt give any information on the way the test was done or any circumstances. they just made a claim that the test was done and it showed stress levels are the same in each envirment..

I am not an animal activist, i am the exact opposite. I respect all creatures though.There is a food chain ,and humans are at the top. lol

This article angers me because they know they can take advantage of people who are very nievly gullable by saying this and expecting people to believe this just because they have a big fat cat degree,or are able to do some type of experment with theyre fancy big wig fatcat equipment..

God place creature in the outdoors because thats were they belong..thats were they will be happiest.Do you want dried preserved fruits and vegtables,or fresh ones.
:mad:

Well said mcGoo. I have seen far to many study guidelines where by the time you read the protocols and controls you can accurately forsee the results before the study is ever done. It all comes down to who is paying the bills, and how much in research grants are promised. Sad but true. Saw it all to often when doing field studies.

The most distressing thing of it all, is that the mainstream general public no longer questions these results. "If a study says XYZ it must be true" is all too common.

They are basing it on one hormone. If you don't know any better, why would you be stressed? Even in humans, it's the quality of life, not the stress in life. If you lived your whole life in a white room, you wouldn't have much stress, now how fun would that be though? I mean, we risk our lives every day in traffic, but does that make our quality of life not worth going out to the store?

Research is a great thing.. but I bet that paper, that the article was written from, has a lot more to it than what publicity said. Plus, if it was not government funded, it must state it's supporters and thus will be a bias article anyways.

Edit: I can't even find articles about research on chickens from a Dr Jeff Downing... Most are on sheep.

Last edited:
Silikechicken, you touched on my response. Only one hormone was studied-Corticosterone. Nothing was mentioned about endorphine levels. Another question I have for them is just how did they test to get their results of those levels?
The whole thing is a big bunch of baloney, you can skew any results into what you want for whatever reason.
I trust my kids reaction to being let out- stay outta the way!!!!! They will knock you over when rushing out that door to see what is new in the world.

i read this article yesterday and opted not to post it because of its controversial nature. My issue with this sort of thing is that you have Big Ag on one side of the arguement, using all its money to manipulate things to one effect, and on the other side you have fanatical animal rights types just as willing to decieve to further their own ideals.

People like me are stuck in the middle. I own animals, and know them. My chickens have the option of staying in the cage all day or staying out, sleeping in trees at night or going in the cage. Not because i believe they have the right to choose, but because it suits me. Behold the chicken that chooses to leave its coop in the morning and return to roost in the evening.

My animals don't need 5 star accomodations, but they do need more than 2Xft of feces soaked space to live their entire life.

At any rate, I've desided that as long as i'm able, I'll own my own chickens for meat and eggs, so that I'm not supporting factory farming.

I wouldn't keep a pet rock in the conditions those chickens live in. It just ain't right.

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that they didn't test the chickens? They only tested the hormone level in the eggs. Makes me wonder how many hormones are passed into the eggs and what regulates how much of the hormone(s) are passed on. For all we know all eggs have the same amount of this, or any, hormone due to it being required by the embryo for development -- not because of any factors in the hen's life.

I don't suppose they could actually test the hens themselves since the testing process would cause a flood of stress related hormones to be excreted into the blood and saliva tests would be difficult to take.

I choose to not free range my flock; I only have a few, and we do have many predators around here. If I were to lose even one, it would make a huge difference in eggs - and that's why I have mine! (Oh, and it goes without saying, the chicken love, too!!) But, mine do have a large run and a nice little coop - no, it ain't the Taj Mahal, but they seem to be happy & they're definitely healthy! I think we all make the choices with our chickens that feel right to us; and we should stand by those choices!

Back
Top Bottom