READ ASAP! Chicken overheated!

I got up this morning thinking the worst. I went into the garage and was immediately greeted with coos and peeps! She is now fully alert and making noises! YAY!! She will inch around since she can't stand yet, but she will try to and only stretch a couple inches up...barely enough to see her feet. Only thing I'm really worried about is she didn't poo at all through the night. She has a bit of pasty butt now, but I don't want to soak her and cause more distress.

It's progress!! I have the scrambled eggs here cooling next to me, and I'm going to see if she'll eat as soon as I'm done here!

Hopefully on the homestretch!
love.gif

Last edited:
She ate almost the whole egg! Her perception is a little off, but at least she's eating! Chickens are always so accurate with their beaks. She's about a centimeter off. That's okay though, she ate the whole thing. Now she is sleeping with her head under her wing like she should be.

Oh, and after eating about half the egg, she let out a gnarly poo about half the size of my fist. Lol. I take back my comment.

She will be fine! I can't believe how resilient these chickens are. One day I was down in the coop (it was hot - like 100 degrees). I couldn't find one of my girls! A black plastic tub had somehow fallen on her and she was trapped underneath for who knows how long! I pulled her out and dunked her in cool water for a few minutes. She couldn't stand at all. After she cooled down I brought her in the house and put her in a crate overnight. The next day she was up moving but staggering like she was drunk. I thought she was brain damaged, but now a few weeks later I can't remember which girl it was (there are five red sex links). So don't worry, you are doing the right thing and she will be okay!

I suppose I'll just keep updating on her. lol.

She's now standing. She can't walk very much, but I fed her a few pellets then took her out into the grass to sit in the sun until I go to work in a few hours. Two of the other "greenhouse" chickens came around to see her. It wasn't really a pleasant greeting so I put her little fencing around her again. It's weird - the other Australorp hen will come up to her and almost do a rooster dance with Rooster clucks, then walks away and makes her hen noises again. I guess the hot chicken lost her spot on the pecking order. :(

I am so glad that she is getting better! Hopefully she will get back into the pecking order soon. Haha. So happy she is perking up!

Back
Top Bottom