Ready for them now with Minnow traps!!

Marion565

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
North Texas, Dallas Area
Saturday morning I went to the coop to let the chickens out and found my lone little surviving 6 week old chick "13" (yes, we named her 13) dead in the coop. Her head was wet, but the rest of her body was not touched, so I figured snake tied to eat her and found out that she was too big. 3 days ago I lost a 3 day old chick..... just dissapeared, so I knew we had a snake.
After checking the post by Elwood Lightfoot, the hubby and I went to Academy sports after work and bought 4 minnow traps ($4.99 each, cheap at twice the price)
We got home and when it was time to put up the chickens, we went to check on them. Sure enough, there was a rat snake just waiting for them in the coop. It was amazing to watch how this snake "weaved" itself in and out of the chickenwire. This would have been a great commercial for hardware cloth!!
Well, long story short.... we dispatched the snake.

Set the traps last night and can't wait for the sun to come up so I can check them.
Maybe my egg production will get back to normal now that I have those traps set.

If you live near a waterman eel pots work good for catching snakes as well most of the time I just use netting that prevents birds form getting to fruit trees LOL

Have you tried the 1/2 inch aviary wire? Not all hardware stores have it but it beats the normal poultry wire. Heck, sparrows can wiggle through the darned stuff.

Going today to get some hardware cloth, I have 12 little chicks in the barn that I am raising for a friend, I don't want anything to happen to them. It was just amazing to see how that snake was able to get through the chickenwire. I guess it's the truth, chicken wire will keep chickens in but nothing out. I have been very fortunate so far with predetors. Well, I will fix that coop today and make it snakeproof!

I just had a copperhead get six turkey poults. Very interested in traps. Do you need to bait them? Hang off the ground, on the ground?

I bait them with salt fish underwater and catch cottonmouths here bird netting will also catch snakes the kind that is used to prtect fruit trees

Back
Top Bottom