Ready to build the coop, but Mother Nature not cooperating...

Sinfonian

Songster
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Seattle area
My brother and I are ready to build our coops in time for the chicks to arrive in a few weeks, but this morning the sky opened up and it isn't looking like the rain's going to stop for at least a week. Last week it was forecast that we'd get 12 storms back to back, whatever that means. Ah, Seattle weather!

I guess it could be worse, we could have 2 month old hens ready to head outside with no coop built, but who wants to build a coop when you have chick's to admire?!

I just started making the floor frame and there is still over a foot of snow on the ground... Watch we will get another 2 feet just because I started the new coop
roll.png

AAARGH.. Been planning for months, all the TSCs have chicks and still snow! Finally getting melt to break ground on the coop and now the basement is flooding!! Dad Gum (censored) Michigan weather. I want to build and build NOW!

Strong possibility we will end up building two coops in my one-car garage if the rain keeps up. Of course that'd mean I have to gut it first. It's sort of a catch all right now hehe.

My chickies arrived in early Feb and are still in my house!
barnie.gif
Our winters are cold, little snow . . . not this year! THe most snow in 15 years and it accumulated to many feet high. My DH has not been able to build anything! THis week we saw a good thaw and the ground is mostly clear.
wee.gif
DH has a 4 day weekend coming up and guess what he'll be working on?!?!?!
ya.gif
:

Last edited:
There were feet of snow on the ground until just a few days ago, when it has melted down to about 8 inches of snow. Chick hatch date before shipment is approx. April 18th, and I'll have them in a brooder in the house for a while. Once the snow melts, we have about 2-8 weeks (depends on the year really- never can tell how long it'll take) of mud season. This morning I was reading coop plans and checking out veggie plant catalogs. Then I'd look out the window at the snow. I wanna build and till the garden yesterday. I am TRYING to be patient, but it's been a tough winter.
barnie.gif

If you have a place to paint I'd start priming your wood. You'll be happy you did. Once you're done building you can get that finished coat on it immediately and your birds in.

I am so with you! I'm working on my coop here in Portland, and the weather does not like me. I can't even pain the frame under the carport because it takes hours for the paint to dry in this weather! But I'll be out in it later to set up the frame and roof the coop-I have month old chicks and thus can't stop for a bit of rain!

Same here. Unfortunately mine is to big to build in the garage like I've done in the past, so it's sitting 2/3 done in the pouring down rain. the chicks for it are 3 wks old and want OUT, but it's just to cold and wet.

Mine is sitting as it has for the past several weeks (2-3 anyway) with 3 walls up awaiting the 4th that has all the door holes in it! We had some really good, but cold, weather and I was able to get that far in mid-February. Then, we had another snow dump (blocking the gates to the back yard, so couldn't get the wood back there) followed by sub-zero weather. This week/weekend it has warmed up again, but this time it id me who can't get out there to work! I bunged up my shoulder on Friday and can't move it too much without causing severe pain. My chicks arrive this coming Wednesday (4 dyas including today!), but they will be in a brooder in my laundry room for a while.

My plan is to tackle the coop again tommorow, even if I have to load up on pain killers to do it, lol. But, really...the shoulder is feeling better so far today.

Back
Top Bottom