Ready to lay eggs but no eggs...

socalchickens76

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
Hello,

My almost seven month old Silver Laced Wyandotte has been showing signs for weeks that she's ready to lay eggs. She does the squat, goes into the nesting box, looks for a nesting spot when free ranging, makes tons of noise in the morning, waddles a bit, paces back and forth in the run in the mornings, etc. It's probably been around three weeks of this behavior and still no egg. We also have a Golden Laced Wyandotte, same age and she laid her first egg this week and she started doing the squat a week or two ago. I'm starting to get a little worried that the Silver Laced one might be egg bound but I don't know. It's our first time having chickens. She otherwise acts and eats normally.

Any reasons why it's taking her so long to lay even though she's acting like she clearly wants to?

Thanks!

thanks! They are getting soooo noisy in the morning I'm afraid it's going to annoy a lot of our neighbors. Any tips on how to minimize the cackling?

You can't minimize the cackling. My rooster joins in on their cackling sometimes and it's great hearing him do the egg song with his ladies. 😂 That's how they communicate and it's just in their dna to do it.

when free ranging
She may have found a place to lay in range area.
Time for an exam.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

thanks! They are getting soooo noisy in the morning I'm afraid it's going to annoy a lot of our neighbors. Any tips on how to minimize the cackling?

Back
Top Bottom