1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ready to Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grampsjim, Mar 10, 2014.

1. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    I noticed this morning while my blk astralorp was in her nest laying her daily egg that one of the other chickens was actually sitting
    by her and watching. Her neck was stretched out and if she could have she would've been behind the hen. Her and her sister
    have been squatting a lot. I didn't know that they would actually watch another hen lay! I'm guessing this is normal behavior? Are there any other signs that they are getting ready to lay?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, sometimes they cheer one another on...or it seems keep each other company nearby or in the nest.

Squatting is one sign, reddening and enlargement of comb and wattles is another, they sometimes get a bit goofy prelaying...running around and pacing and squawking.

Sounds like it won't be long!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by