Ready to move the poults OUT! Run ideas?

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
The three poults I hatched out two weeks ago are turning into conniving little escape artists. They no longer like being in their brooder and are flying out regularly to roam the house. I've been letting them out for a couple hours at a time, and cleaning up after them, but they think our lab is their momma, and the poor dog is starting to run and hide when she hears them :)

I'd like the get them moved out sooner than later. They can free range under supervision (and I've been taking them outside for a little bit each day), but not until I'm confident they can avoid the hawks and cats - so not for a while :)

I'm not sure what to do for the run - how tall does the fencing need to be? How long? I need to cover the top with netting at least, as it's worked for a hawk deterrent for the past few years for my chickens.

The temp here has been averaging mid to high 70's in the day, and 50's at night. Our house has been running 62 to mid 70s. I didn't turn their light on last night or today, and they're still as happy as can be.

What else do I need to do to move them out of here? They've started picking up small bits of grit outside and have been eating some grass.

I was hoping they'd be confined in the house for another two weeks, but I'm tired of getting up at 3am to peeping outside my door :)

If it's just temporary I would just make it double or triple the size of your brooder and about 2-3 foot high. That's what I'd do but I really don't know what to tell you. Oh except that your fencing needs to be small enough (the holes in it) so that the babies can't stick their heads out of it b/c owls will rip their heads off.

Back
Top Bottom