Really Basic Newbie Info

HennyPenny2019

Crowing
Nov 23, 2018
West Virginia
I have been devouring all the info on this site in preparation for the day when we make our move and I finally get my chickens (woo hoo). My question(s) are these ... where (how?) do I find breed specific (Wyandotte) quality chicks? And can I get sexed chicks? I would be ok with one rooster but wouldn’t want to end up with 4. Thanks ahead of time for sharing your help, I want to try and avoid as many mistakes as I can. I’m in West Virginia and will remain within the state. Thank God I’m a country girl ... or will be. Beth

Are you wanting show quality birds, or just to the standard? You can order from hatcheries, but their stock is not exceptional. It will resemble the breed, but they don't always have the best coloring, etc. They are great for just egg laying purposes. You will most likely get the best sexing from a hatchery.

If you are wanting show quality, or to the standard birds, 'Poultry Show Central' is a great place where you can find breeders.

Are you wanting show quality birds, or just to the standard? You can order from hatcheries, but their stock is not exceptional. It will resemble the breed, but they don't always have the best coloring, etc. They are great for just egg laying purposes. You will most likely get the best sexing from a hatchery.

If you are wanting show quality, or to the standard birds, 'Poultry Show Central' is a great place where you can find breeders.

Thank you so much for this info, it is exactly what I was looking for. I DO want the best quality chickens I can find. I have a 20 year passion with showing and breeding French Bulldogs (now retired) and I appreciate good quality. With my chickens I will still hear “ahhh ... nice chickens” lol
I am wiggly excited for the day I can order my chickens.

I agree with Crazy for Chickens, but just wanted to add that the show or high quality Wyandottes may not lay as well as hatchery versions. With chickens, it is often a trade off between quality and production-- rarely do you get both in the same birds. You will also pay a lot more for high quality, and they are rarely sexed.

I'm not warning you off of them-- they are beautiful. But it's best to be well informed before making decisions.

Thank you so much for this info, it is exactly what I was looking for. I DO want the best quality chickens I can find. I have a 20 year passion with showing and breeding French Bulldogs (now retired) and I appreciate good quality. With my chickens I will still hear “ahhh ... nice chickens” lol
I am wiggly excited for the day I can order my chickens.
You would probably want to buy from a good breeder. Here's a list of some selling Wyandottes:
www.poultryshowcentral.com/Wyandottes.html

You would probably want to buy from a good breeder. Here's a list of some selling Wyandottes:
www.poultryshowcentral.com/Wyandottes.html

Thank you ... I found a website for a lady in VA, only about 5 hours from me. I am just not in a position to get them yet. My town (silly as it seems) doesn’t allow chickens. As soon as my husband retires (again) we are moving out of town.

I agree with Crazy for Chickens, but just wanted to add that the show or high quality Wyandottes may not lay as well as hatchery versions. With chickens, it is often a trade off between quality and production-- rarely do you get both in the same birds. You will also pay a lot more for high quality, and they are rarely sexed.

I'm not warning you off of them-- they are beautiful. But it's best to be well informed before making decisions.

Thank you for this. As you can tell I am rather clueless about caring for chickens ... I just love them to pieces. The egg production isn’t a huge concern for us (just 2 of us) I was just hopeful to get healthier (?) chickens if they weren’t mass produced and am surprised that those would be more likely properly sexed than those from a show breeder. But that is why I am here ... to learn, and so I really appreciate the input

I'll put in a good word for hatchery birds here-

Other than the eggs I've ordered and hatched myself, all of the day old chicks I've ordered have come from hatcheries. Of the 50+ birds I've ordered I have only had 2 deaths. Every other chick I've had has been healthy, happy, and correctly sexed.

I would encourage you to consider hatchery birds as a beginner-you can always advance into show quality birds once you have some experience under your belt. You will learn things as you gain experience. Some of these lessons may be costly-losses due to predation, falling in love with a breed you didn't expect to, not loving the breeds you had your heart set on, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide, I just wanted to put in a good word on the hatchery stock-mine have all done just fine.

I'll put in a good word for hatchery birds here-

Other than the eggs I've ordered and hatched myself, all of the day old chicks I've ordered have come from hatcheries. Of the 50+ birds I've ordered I have only had 2 deaths. Every other chick I've had has been healthy, happy, and correctly sexed.

I would encourage you to consider hatchery birds as a beginner-you can always advance into show quality birds once you have some experience under your belt. You will learn things as you gain experience. Some of these lessons may be costly-losses due to predation, falling in love with a breed you didn't expect to, not loving the breeds you had your heart set on, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide, I just wanted to put in a good word on the hatchery stock-mine have all done just fine.

Thank you for this other view. I’m not sure exactly what you are saying. Is it that the quality of the chickens is about the same but the price is higher? I do have time to learn as much as one can without actually having the chickens. As for liking the breed or not ... I’m not sure that will be an option for me, I’d just have to love the ones I have. LoL May I ask what hatchery you got your chickens from? I thinking they are probably not all the same, sounds like you found a good one.

Back
Top Bottom