Really cold temperatures (for here) Do I need to provide heat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AimsChickies, Feb 4, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Its getting down to 30 degrees tonight. I live in south florida and we rarely see these temperatures. Do my hens need a heat source? Their henhouse is a shed, its completely enclosed so their will be no drafts. Sorry if i am in the wrong section

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Your chickens should be just fine. Thirty degrees is not cold for a chicken (unless they don't have feathers yet!!!).

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with California Chick. They'll do just fine in a draft free coop.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    My coops arent completley draft free and mine do just fine, its been down close to the single digits a few nights this winter and in the teens several times.
    ETA: And mine dont get any heat.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    We were down to -2 this mouring in the barn. But 3 eggs were waiting for me at 8AM. Good girls .

6. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thanks all! I was about to run out and buy a heater, haha. [​IMG]

7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Im really new to this whole chicken thing so I would like to ask just how low the temps can get before I need to add a heat source? I am only going to be allowed to have 2 hens . They will have a small well built house inside a 10 x 10 dog run.

8. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Been down to -30ish a couple times this winter. No added heat. I just chose breeds with small combs after I had a few large comb breeds years ago that got frostbite.

(I think it is funny that someone in FL is asking about heat for a chicken... Isn't that where all my MN birds fly to in the winter???)

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I live in Florida and here it is supposed to get into the upper teens tonight. I did put heat lamps in my coops tonight. I put them above a section of their roosts.

10. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Vermont and the temperatures can be really frigid- have of late, as a matter of fact. Millet is a nice warming food that can be added to their normal rations and this helps the birds stay warm all day as well as during the night. A rendered suet or bacon drippings on granola are another solution. Its important that the birds don't tax their systems too much during the winter because the energy expenditure of producing clutches of eggs is the next phase in the cycle. Mortalities and illness will appear more often in birds that were stressed over the winter than those that were not.
    Murray McMurray has a great product called Babycakes in their online feed section of the catalog. Heat one of those bars of ameliorated suet up in the microwave and put about a table spoon per bird over the dry feed on the evening before you know it is going to drop below zero. The special vitamins and crustacean meal in the product actually help prepare the birds for the next season while the cranberry pulp/seeds and turmeric act as antioxidants, helping the birds regenerate their digestive systems while they sit out the cold. Zeolite and De in the babycake are used to remove odors from the droppings and as natural anti parasitic agents.

Wrapping their perches with a few layers of bubble wrap is good way to increase the insulation of their feet.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by