Really dark welsummer egg?

MountainWoman73

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 18, 2018
Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado
I have three Black Copper Marans hens who lay nice dark eggs. I can usually tell whose is whose. (Minnie's is larger and redder, Posie's is lighter and oranger, and Pansy's is darker with speckles.) However, today I got one egg from each of them, and this little bitty pullet egg too. (Smallest egg in the photo) The only pullet I have who I know wasn't laying yet is my welsummer. However, the two welsummers I've had before laid more medium-brown eggs with darker speckles. This deep reddish brown really looks more like a BCM egg to me. Has anyone had a welsummer that laid really dark? Did I get that lucky? What do you think?
PXL_20211006_171539296.jpg
PXL_20211006_171626871.jpg

As you have noticed not all Marans lay exactly the same color or shade of egg. All Welsummers don't either. I don't know where you got that pullet compared to the other two but yes, it looks like you got lucky.

As Aart mentioned the color may lighten as her laying progresses. There are different reasons that that might happen. As the egg gets bigger that pigment may have to spread out over a larger surface. As the season goes on some adult hen's eggs lighten. I'm not sure why but it's not just that the eggs are getting bigger. By the time they are ready to molt some of my brown egg layers are laying some really light eggs.

But this is some, not all. You got lucky once, maybe you will stay lucky. At least you are starting in a good spot.

I have three Black Copper Marans hens who lay nice dark eggs. I can usually tell whose is whose. (Minnie's is larger and redder, Posie's is lighter and oranger, and Pansy's is darker with speckles.) However, today I got one egg from each of them, and this little bitty pullet egg too. (Smallest egg in the photo) The only pullet I have who I know wasn't laying yet is my welsummer. However, the two welsummers I've had before laid more medium-brown eggs with darker speckles. This deep reddish brown really looks more like a BCM egg to me. Has anyone had a welsummer that laid really dark? Did I get that lucky? What do you think?View attachment 2857456View attachment 2857457
Gorgeous egg😍
Where did you purchase your Welsummer?
Some Hatcheries have better Heritage lines than others.

Back
Top Bottom