Really funny and super cute!

cheerful chick

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
So I have 3 chickens, Barred Rocks, Jersey Giant, and an Ameraucana. The BR and Am. are the same age and the JG is the baby of the group. The BR has been laying an egg almost every day for the last 2 weeks but the Am. just started acting like she was getting ready to lay the other day. She started squatting and visiting the nesting box regularly. The other day she did lay her first egg, a pale blueish green but while she was in the nesting box moving things around and trying to get comfortable the BR was in the run doing the "egg song" for like 15 minutes! The Am never made a peep while she laid her egg. My daughter said that maybe the BR was "egging her on". LOL! It was really funny! Do other chickens usually know when another one is laying?

So I have 3 chickens, Barred Rocks, Jersey Giant, and an Ameraucana. The BR and Am. are the same age and the JG is the baby of the group. The BR has been laying an egg almost every day for the last 2 weeks but the Am. just started acting like she was getting ready to lay the other day. She started squatting and visiting the nesting box regularly. The other day she did lay her first egg, a pale blueish green but while she was in the nesting box moving things around and trying to get comfortable the BR was in the run doing the "egg song" for like 15 minutes! The Am never made a peep while she laid her egg. My daughter said that maybe the BR was "egging her on". LOL! It was really funny! Do other chickens usually know when another one is laying?
Oh yes! When my one gal is in the nesting box the other three (which haven't started laying just yet) do one of two things:

1. They either all huddle together in a 'lump' at the farthest end of the chicken run, or
2. They each take turns going into the coop, peeking in at her, scurrying out, then another one, and another one...silly chickens!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom