Really good homemade incubator instructions wanted!

keds45

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Hi! After the success of getting my broody australorp hen some fertile eggs to hatch in October (thank you BYCers for your help with that), my son would like to try to build a homemade incubator (we have already found homes for any eggs that hatch).

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good reliable instructions on line? It seems there are a lot out there, are there any that work better than others? Any pointers? Thanks so much!

OOps!!! i see there's stuff on this below! I'll look at that! Still, if anyone has particularly good luck with something, I'd love to hear about it!

You can look at the Homemade incubator Contests, but I also have a few wiring diagrams that you could use. Plus a few pictures of my Cooler incubator.
70328_incubator_heating_diagram.jpg
70328_fan_wiring_diagram.jpg

My egg turner so that I can turn all the eggs at once from the outside of the incubator.
70328_coolerbatoreggturner_001.jpg
70328_coolerbatoreggturner_002.jpg
70328_coolerbatoreggturner_003.jpg

The screw driver is to adjust the water heater thermostat from the outside of the incubator.
70328_updatedcoolerbator_006.jpg
70328_updatedcoolerbator_002.jpg
70328_updatedcoolerbator_001.jpg
70328_updatedcoolerbator_005.jpg
70328_updatedcoolerbator_004.jpg

Funnel, and tube running into incubator, to add water to the incubator from the outside during Lock Down, (the last three days of incubation). If you open the incubator to add water while chicks are hatching you will run the risk of the humidity getting too low, and the chicks getting dry, and unable to hatch.
70328_humidity_pics_002.jpg

How the egg turner works.
70328_newchickeneggs_002.jpg
70328_newchickeneggs_001.jpg

Success!... I love when a plan comes together. 9 out of 9 hatch rate the first time using this incubator.

70328_chicks_hatching_001.jpg
70328_updated_pic_001.jpg

great pics quintinp! Looks very similar to the one I have made!

keds45 - Look for the posts containing info on the bator made by MissPrissy. I'd hunt down the link for you but my internet is being sllloowwww!

Quote:
Miss Prissy has really good designs for her incubator, but I would drill holes into the thermostat, and place the back side of the thermostat within 2 inches of the light bulb. Here is a link on how to drill holes into the thermostat, for better temperatures.

And here's a video explaining why the water heater thermostat needs to be close to the light bulb.

Back
Top Bottom