REALLY important question!!! One hatched all alone!

youngjedi32002

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
East Coast
Really important question! I had an early hatcher! Or an ONLY hatcher! I have 10 eggs in the incubator and one has completely hatched! Not a pip or a sound from any of the others! I know I need to leave this baby in until it is dry but how long do I leave it for, especially when there are no other hatchings coming along? How long do they usually take to dry and how can they dry in such humidity? I am a nervous first timer and I need some advice.......

Well, not as much an early hatcher as an only hatcher. Today is day 22 but I thought a couple extra days may be necessary because they were mail order and the temp had been on the lower side for a while, not terribly low, just on the lower side of normal for the incubation period. I was worrying that none of them would hatch and then a pip and an hour and a half later, a chick! Amazingly fast, as far as I could tell from all the posts I have read! But not another egg has shaken or tapped or pipped or anything! Poor baby is all alone! I just don't know how long to wait......

IF he/she is an only chick, to take some of the lonliness off of it take a shirt that has a pocket on the chest and put the chick in there while you do your regular barn chores, or if you have more chickens take one of your best and nicest hens and see if she will take to it... ! hope this works!!

Quote:
Well, I took he/she out of the incubator. It was hobbling across the length of the incubator to get closer to the light. I put it under a heat lamp in the brooder. I made a nest out of some clean flannel fabric and I think it is more comfortable there. I am praying the there will be more chicks to keep this little one company! This one was a shocker so maybe there will be more! I am going to 2 chicken shows this weekend so I will be getting he/she a friend if there are no more hatches. I have 4 hens in the back but they are only 3 months old and I don't think any one of them would know what to do with a little one!

Congrats Young Jedi...don't give in to the quick & easy dark side of the hatching force! Leave 'er be, & the rest will fall into place, naturally...
big_smile.png
did you candle yer eggs, prior to lockdown? If so, you should've culled the non developers...those are pretty easy to spot, as there's hardly any movement in the eggs, or are completely clear.

Patience my young padawan...

Back
Top Bottom