Really loud ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bronwyn, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Bronwyn

Bronwyn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    I have two Pekins and two Cayugas, all (supposedly) females and about 13 weeks old. I have never had ducks before, so I don't know what to expect, but these ducks are loud. And they don't like to be alone, so they quack as loudly as possible when they want company. I got Cayugas because they are beautiful and generally quiet, but these two are quite vocal. The Pekins are actually much quieter, though they are known to be a louder breed.

Is there anything I can do to get them to be quieter? I don't want my neighbors to complain.

Also, one of the Pekins sounds like she is chuckling whenever she makes noise. Does this mean she is in fact a he? (I keep waiting for a curled tail feather, but she doesn't have one...)

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They're still a little young for drake feathers.

There isn't a lot that you can do to keep them quieter. When I had vocal breeds and lived in the suburbs, I would go outside and if they were quacking up a storm I would shush them. A very loud Shhhhhhh and they would stop.

If you have a good relationship with your neighbors I'd talk to them. Ducks aren't legal in many suburban areas.

If the one isn't making a literal quack it may be male. They make more of a wonk sound. My book describes it as an elongated "wongh".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by